1. Mountain Monkey

Mountain Monkey New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    I lost one of my six chickens today. Two days ago I saw yellow, watery poop and noticed she was very lethargic. Using BYC I figured it may be black head. None of my other chickens show any symptoms. I ordered Fish Zole online but she died today before I could get medicine in her. While I was waiting for the meds, I tried some cayenne pepper in her feed. She seemed to perk up a bit yesterday and this morning, but obviously she was very sick.

I want to protect my other chickens so I gave them a dewormer today. I inspected their poop but haven't found any signs of worms. I guess I'm wondering if anyone has any other ideas about what could have gone wrong with my sick chicken and how to best protect the others.

In hindsight, while she always seemed active, we noticed she tended to hang by herself. Also, we were getting 5 eggs a day so someone was slacking. Now I realize it must have been her. I guess she was sick for some time but I saw no overt symptoms. Sine my chickens are all nearing 6 months, I didn't think it was too abnormal for one to be a late layer.

Anyway, deworming my healthy 5 chickens, anything I'm missing.?

Thanks for your help.

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    So very sorry for your loss...it's never easy...

[​IMG]

3. Mountain Monkey

Mountain Monkey New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks for the sentiments. [​IMG]

4. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer Premium Member

May 11, 2010
    Sorry for your loss.

Deworming is a good way to start protecting your remaining chickens. If your other chickens are doing well leave them be. Be observant though and watch them. Your veterinarian can check a fecal sample for parasites, protozoa and so forth and that way you can target what your chickens really need.

5. Mountain Monkey

Mountain Monkey New Egg

Mar 10, 2014
    Thanks for the response, Old Chick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by