Sad Edith

Macdot

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Edith is just over two years old and has recently stopped pecking around with the other two and is sitting in the next box looking unhappy. The other day I found a red (blood) globby type poo that may have been hers but her vent is clean. I don't know if I should just leave her to get on with what ever it is or try to do something. The other two seem ok. I haven't really had any problems up till now so have not had much experience of this kind of behaviour.
any ideas ? I've had them since they were hatched and am very attached to them.

ChickensAreSweet

Heavenly Grains for Hens
9 Years
Jun 8, 2010
Pacific NW- where the Douglas Firs grow
I am not sure what is going on with her. Is she just broody do you think? Is she grumpy and does she peck at you, refusing to get off her nest (broody)? Or does she appear lethargic and ill? If she is ill, then you may wish to check these basics out:

Check her crop in the morning to make sure it is empty (not sour crop/impacted). Check her abdomen to make sure she isn't puffed up like a balloon.

Check her poo. Check her to see if you can feel an egg (wear a glove and use veg oil) inside the vent that is stuck.

I am not sure of the significance of the blood/goo. Chickens who have an egg stuck will often pass just white urates as the poo won't pass but the urine will. Of course if an eggs is truly stuck they usually will pass on (perish) in a couple of days I have read. I am not sure about the stool you saw.

Also, chickens can have internal problems such as peritonitis (egg yolk periotonitis), cancer, and other things that make them feel bad, as well as infections. It is very hard to say what is the problem.

Additionally, mites/lice and worms can bring a chicken down as well, causing them to be lethargic.

Make sure she doesn't have mites/lice/worm problems.

I hope this helps. I don't know how else to help.

Here is a general link by symptoms:
http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf

PSJ

Songster
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
Sabine Parish, La
I am not sure what is going on with her. Is she just broody do you think? Is she grumpy and does she peck at you, refusing to get off her nest (broody)? Or does she appear lethargic and ill? If she is ill, then you may wish to check these basics out:

Check her crop in the morning to make sure it is empty (not sour crop/impacted). Check her abdomen to make sure she isn't puffed up like a balloon.

Check her poo. Check her to see if you can feel an egg (wear a glove and use veg oil) inside the vent that is stuck.

I am not sure of the significance of the blood/goo. Chickens who have an egg stuck will often pass just white urates as the poo won't pass but the urine will. Of course if an eggs is truly stuck they usually will pass on (perish) in a couple of days I have read. I am not sure about the stool you saw.

Also, chickens can have internal problems such as peritonitis (egg yolk periotonitis), cancer, and other things that make them feel bad, as well as infections. It is very hard to say what is the problem.

Additionally, mites/lice and worms can bring a chicken down as well, causing them to be lethargic.

Make sure she doesn't have mites/lice/worm problems.

I hope this helps. I don't know how else to help.

Here is a general link by symptoms:
http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf
agree!

Macdot

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Thank you for advice and link, I am going to check her out more thoroughly now, She could well be broody, she does that funny feet stamping when I go to pick her up, but I've not had an egg from her for several day. Shall go and check her and give the ark a good clean and de-louse!
Many thanks!

Macdot

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 25, 2014
Update on poor Edith, She picked up a week ago only to go down again this last week, she has visited the vet today who feels she has cancer in her gut, she has been given an injection for pain relief and is on antibiotics, the prognosis is not good but we are keeping her comfortable....this evening she made her own way up to bed which she hasn't been doing so I believe she is feeling a bit brighter.

Top Bottom