1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sad ending :( Can you help me figure out what happened? *graphic pics*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by goatkeepers, Jun 24, 2008.

1. goatkeepers

goatkeepers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Ok, I couldn't stand it anymore. I didn't want to be getting my hopes up that my 3 eggs in the bator might still hatch, if I was just watching dead eggs. So I candled them. Today's day 23. I only took them out a few seconds each and on one I saw two little pips and the shell outside was cracked (I could feel the crack with my finger) but it's head wasn't in the air bubble. And like I said, there were two little pips. I didn't see it move. Should I break it up now and see if it's still alive? Or is it normal that they have several pip holes? Will it still come out? It's head or beak wasn't in the air hole.
    If I break it open, will it make it or will that surely kill it. Like I said, today is 23 and I don't even know if it's still alive... HELP!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  2. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Come on... Anyone? Please! I don't know what to do. I am leaning towards opening it now and seeing if it's still alive, but I don't know if that will kill it, if it is still alive.... [​IMG]

3. Psittizen Shikkin

Psittizen Shikkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    Oroville, California
  4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Many people help their chicks out if it is 24 hours past the pip time. It's just if you feel comfortable doing so. If you do try do it VERY carefully...I know there is a thread here explaining how but I don't know where that is. I will see if I can find it for you. I think if I were you I would try to help the little thing out. Odd are it was not strong enough and it already passed but there are always late bloomers! Good luck! Hope you get more info. I will go look for that post for you now.

5. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thank you!!!!

6. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Sure hope that helps...and please update here to let us know how it turns out. Hang in there! [​IMG]

7. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    It's dead [​IMG] I need y'all to help me figure out what happened, so I can fix it next time. I am uploading pics right now. I kept the humidity between 60-70% the last 4 days and it was around 40-50% before that. But still, I think the chick dried out. I opened the bigger part, where I saw the pip and found it under a second membrane (?) with a lot of yolk!

1. What makes a chick not absorb it's yolk? Temp? Humidity?
    2. How could I have seen a clear pip on the outer shell when the whole chick was still under the "second" membrane??

Here are pics, hope they aren't too graphic. I just really want to find out what happened. See all the yolk that's left?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One more question: Does it look like it developed far enough?

8. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I am so sorry it is dead. Now, I am no expert, but it seems to me like too low humidity keeps them from properly absorbing the yolk....mine last time all had rough navels and some unabsorbed yolk. I will look at your pics when they are on too.

9. goatkeepers

Mar 31, 2008
    Mooresville, NC
    Thanks, luvmychicknkids. What do you think of the pics...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by