1. waysidedesign

waysidedesign Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2011
    So, one of my year old girls (speckled sussex) won't get out of her nesting box, is making soft weird whinny cries, and the others pick on her as soon as she even tries to jump down. Any ideas???[​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    She could be broody. Does she kind of puff up her feathers, and make growly sounds or just strange sounds when you approach her? That's a sure sign of being broody. Hens also quit laying when they become broody. Oh, just in case you don't know, when a hen goes broody, they want to hatch eggs.

Sometimes, when a hen is broody, they have sort of isolated themselves from the flock, so the others might pick on her a bit when she comes out of the nest, as if she was a new member of the flock. I've seen that happen alot.

3. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If broody you may also see breast feathers pulled out lining the favorite nest.
    If you take her out, she'll wander a little and then go right back in the same nest whether the others pick on her or not.

4. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    She can't be broody...I don't have a rooster. Also, she's one of the 4 that are being pecked in the back but I put on some Bag Balm and it seemed to help.

5. j'aime mes poules

j'aime mes poules Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2010
    New York
    Not having a rooster does not mean your hen would not go broody...

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Maybe a hen saddle would keep them from pecking her. Poor baby.

7. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree, I have a BO that's gone broody 3 times in her first 8 months of laying. Never been with a rooster.
    They just get the urge to raise chicks and don't make the connection. They'll even go broody on a nest with no eggs.
    This time I had been collecting pure Welsummer eggs about a week to incubate so when I was sure she was broody (day 2) when she went out to feed and drink. I pulled the egg under her and dropped 8 wellie and 3 olive eggers uner her and she took the extras in stride. They're due to hatch on the 13th.

ETA: what breed are the bullies? You might try separating the bullies a few days to knock them down in the pecking order and give the pecked on ones a break.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  8. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    Wow...I totally thought they had to be brrody from getting ready to lay chicks!

9. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    They are broody because they want to hatch eggs, they just don't know that thier eggs are not fertile. It's a hormonal natural occurance. Maybe you can get some fertile eggs for her and allow her to be a momma. Good luck!

10. waysidedesign

May 20, 2011
    Very interesting! Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by