sad little aracana

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChristineDown, Sep 19, 2010.

1. ChristineDown

ChristineDown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Kent, England UK
    I have been given a black aracana just about point of lay (about 18 weeks old) I have put her in with my other 5 chickens who are about 3 years old. She is getting a bit pecked but no serious injuries. However they are chasing her away from the food and when I check her crop at night she has had very little. I have started hand feeding her mixed grain just before dusk to ensure she goes to bed with a fuller crop. She's been in with the other for just over a week. Can I expect this behaviour will continue? Should I perservere or isolate her? If I isolate her when should i reintroduce her? Thanks for your help.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Maybe more than one feeder and waterer? she'll aways be low on the totem pole most likely

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'd say to just make sure that she is getting her share of the food. This is most important. With her being on the bottom of the totem pole, it can be difficult for her. Keep an eye on her, to make sure all is well. Good luck!! [​IMG]

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Place feed and water in several other locations and check to see that they are not physically injuring her. To remove her now if they are not physically injuring her would only prolong the integration process.

5. ChristineDown

ChristineDown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2009
    Kent, England UK
    Thank you all for your replies. I'll do as you suggest and put more feeders in the run.

6. aprile

aprile New Egg

Sep 19, 2010
    May I ask what is" checking her crop"?. I have'nt heard of that. Could you explain?

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The crop is the little food storage sack located in the V of the wishbone. It is possible to gently palpate it and see if the chicken has any feed "stored" for use.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by