1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Sad, lonely hens...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Iluvmypeeps, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Some of you may know that I was looking to get rid of my two roosters. Someone was kind enough to take them for me (thanks, Laree!), and I'm so grateful.

Now there's a new problem. Ever since the boys left, my poor hens don't know what to do with themselves. They don't have anyone to lead them around the yard anymore, so they just walk around aimlessly. Most importantly, they're very lonely now. I give them quite a bit of attention, but I'll admit that I'm not always there to sit with them. When I leave, they actually start to whine like puppies (it's actually pretty cute).

So what do I do?

2. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    idk sorry... why did you have to get rid of your roosters?

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Awww...your boys miss the hens too. They are REALLY intimidated by the sheer numbers of my hens, and have decided to hang out with my other juvinille roos.

Now I have a boy's club [​IMG]

They are so pretty, and I think you said you got them from Julie in Gilbert? I have a Dellie-mutt hen from her who is our favorite. So, the "nicer" boy will maybe get to stay for a good long while. Maybe hatch out some more Dellie mutts? Besides, since Patch & Cinnabun clearly run the show, neither bird is crowing. Yay!

Runt as a baby
    [​IMG]

Runt now-ish
    [​IMG]

4. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

Runt is a beautiful boy! [​IMG]

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Runt is the girl...actually the only girl from that particular batch. Hence the name, Runt.

I meant to say Sam's boys will be competing for Runt's attention.

6. MikasGirl

MikasGirl Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Coos Bay, OR
    Quote:You could get a new rooster... But again, that depends on your reasoning for getting rid of the last two..

7. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Hoa

8. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Laree got it right. I can't have roosters in my town, and one of them was too aggressive toward my entire family (excluding myself). I almost wish I could have kept the nice one. [​IMG]

9. Iluvmypeeps

Iluvmypeeps Songster

Apr 15, 2010
    Arizona
    Quote:Runt is gorgeous! [​IMG]

Laree, I got them from a feed store. They're amber-links, a white Plymouth rock/RIR cross.

Oh, and thanks for the update!

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: