Sad looking hens....

kinsey228

Songster
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Chesterville, Maine
I rescued 5 cross breed hens from some pretty bad conditions about 3 weeks ago. Sadly, one was an internal layer w/ a huge swollen belly, and she died last week. Some of them had been de-beaked
rant.gif
, and their feathers look horrible. (They're too young for a molt) Is there anything that I can do to help them look better ? What would you do ?

I would say time and proper care should do wonders in helping them start looking and feeling better. So glad they found a good home!

Thanks. I don't understand why some of them were de-beaked, (the flock was 5 chickens and 2 guineas) and the worst part is, they did it by themselves, and the poor things have beaks growing back at all different lengths. They said they loved their birds so much.
smack.gif
I think I'm going to have to file the really bad beaks down so they'll grow back right. At least they seem to be happy now. Should I add more protein to their diet to help them get better ?

I have some rooster booster that I occasionally add to the feed for some extra winter vitamins. Also a bit of natural, plain yogurt might do them some good. Make sure to check for worms and lice/mites as well.

Oh, bless you for rescuing those chickens!

I would give them BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) for treats - this will also aid in feather growth. It's about 15% protein so it won't lower the aggregate daily protein "take" from their feed.

hugs.gif
There are a lot of people who truly believe that you HAVE to debeak a flock to avoid cannibalism in a fenced flock, and you can't convince them otherwise.
I just had this conversation a week ago with some aquaintances, and they were quite convinced that my flock would turn on themselves soon. They were all ready to run out there and "help" me, and no amount of explaining would convince them otherwise. (No, i did not let them!) Just a bunch of misinformed people.
I am glad you got those poor souls out of there! The product our farm store carries is "manna pro showbird supplement". You give them 1-2 TB a day to help with feathers. It has stuff similar to yogurt, a little extra protein, and a lot of vitamins and minerals. I have a couple hens i rescued, and this made their feathers look great, and i give it to mine when they are moulting too; It gave them the softest shiniest feathers! I also give it to any sicklies to boost them a little. Probably any showbird supplement would be good, if you can find it. (but really, just having a good home is probably all the help they need)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom