sad--lost a baby chick last night/ ?contagious

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by corvidae, Mar 16, 2011.

1. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    We got a couple of Buff Cochins and Blue Andalusians a couple of days ago--they were about 3-4 days old. Yesterday, one of the Cochins had a poopy bottom, which we cleaned off as soon as we noticed. Then we had to clean him a few more times during the day. He was eating and drinking, though only a little active (seemed more sleepy than the others). Sometime during the night, he died and, when we found him, he had poop all over his bottom again. My 11 year old son was heartbroken, of course, and had a little chick funeral for him. [​IMG]

What I am worried about is the four other chicks that were in the same brooder--the other Cochin I've had to clean off twice, though he appears far more active and perky than the one who died did. The Andalusians appear to be doing just fine. However, I'm a bit worried that something might have been passed to them disease-wise? Isn't pasty-bottom usually a stress reaction, or are we talking contagious illness here? We watched all four of them for a while today and they have all had normal poops since I cleaned off the second Cochin--so far, so good? How long do I have to worry about them in this regard?? when does the pasty-bottom deal become a non-issue?

Donna

2. Caddy-Corner-Chick

Caddy-Corner-Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2011
    Hernando, FL
    sorry about your loss [​IMG]

3. Blue_Myst

Blue_Myst Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    I'm sorry you lost your chick [​IMG] The chicks I raised only had pasty butt for a few days, then it started to go away by two weeks of age. Some people have put Apple Cider Vinegar or Molasses in the chicks' water with success in dealing with the pasting, but I can't give you the exact dosage.

If the chicks are puffed up, huddled, tired, and have blood in their poo, you may be looking at coccidiosis, but the little guy may just have failed to thrive. [​IMG]

Keep us posted!

4. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    No sign of blood in the poop, fortunately, and I put apple cider vinegar (w/Mother) in their water as a matter of course since I've read such good things about it. I do hope the others are doing okay--I go home in a couple of hours from work and I'm anxious to check on them!

5. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    Quote:The apple cider vinegar needs to be "Organic" with "MOTHER" in it. I use Braggs for me and my chickens!!! I use one Tablespoon per gallon for the big girls and dilute it for the chicks. For me 2 Tablespoons and 2 Tablespoons of organic honey and 8oz of water..it helps my arthritis.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by