Sad morning

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by remuda1, Feb 14, 2012.

1. remuda1

remuda1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    Went to feed the bottle baby lambs this morning and found a ewe in labor.... She'd been at it for a long time.... Needed help. When we pulled the baby it was already gone. I'm taking it hard. Need to toughen up, I guess :(

2. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    There is something so pathetically unfair about dead baby animals. Especially when you think that there might have been something you could have done to prevent the death. [​IMG]

3. r devries

r devries Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    my first year in goats was awfull first one had trouble two big babies first one was backwards. Then the mother died just too much for her[​IMG]. I felt like giving up and boy was i ever close. but I didnt give up and Im glad I didnt.

4. JennJenn

JennJenn New Egg

Feb 14, 2012
    I know how you feel,my baby goat was the younger twin of a newly born twins.We tried to put a tube down his throat to feed him but that didn't work. 'n then just like that he died.His name was junior,its been about a month and i'm still sad.I wish i could of done something about it. Hope you feel better.[​IMG]

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    [​IMG]

6. remuda1

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    I guess I won't be giving up either.... When I went back out to the paddock another ewe was in labor.
    [​IMG]
    Twins. First one came easily. I had to pull the second. Thankfully, mom and babies are doing very well this evening. This has been one very, very long day. Second wasn't breathing when it came out but did have a heartbeat. After stimulating it and clearing the airways, it did well and nursed within 10 minutes or so.

A very welcome nice ending to a trying day.

ETA: Jenn, sorry for your loss [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  7. remuda1

Jun 12, 2011
    Granbury, Texas
    r Devries, that's just awful, I am so sorry.

8. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    What a down then up day for you. So happy to hear the twins arrived safely and I am sorry for your loss.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by