sad news I was forced to sell my girls

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lady and her girls, Nov 23, 2009.

1. lady and her girls

lady and her girls Out Of The Brooder

Oct 19, 2009
    ohio
    I had to sell my intire flock of girls. The city of Pataskala ohio claimed that we live on business comercial property (middle of 8 acres)and the keeping of livestock was not permitted- not even my 12yr olds banties:(. We are renting and the land lord was not going to grant his permission for a variance on the land. They wanted to fine us 100 a day till we got rid of them so I sold them and lost money and my little friends. Its hard when youv'e cared for something from a day old till they laid their first egg.

2. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    That's very sad, I'm sorry you had to let your girls go. [​IMG] I don't know what I would do without my little flock of friends. [​IMG]

3. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    [​IMG] I feel so sorry for you [​IMG]
    I just try to keep my head down where I am - - we brought the chickens before we checked whether it was legal [​IMG] luckily it was or I'd have to go thru the same situation.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  4. HippieChickens

HippieChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    How devastating! I'm so sorry this happened to you. [​IMG] Is there any possibility that you might find a new situation where you can either get your girls back or start over?

5. Daisygirl

Daisygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    New Zealand
    Quote:Mabe you could get one or two and keep them in the house with diapers on? That way they could be house chickens, and the person could have nothing to complain about.

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am soo sorry about your situtation.

7. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I'm so sorry for what has happened. It just isn't fair at all. I've always lived in the country. Back in July we came upon hard times. We had almost 50 chickens and 4 dogs. WE ended up having to go and live with relatives until this mobile home could be fixed to be livable. Of course Icouldn't bring all 4 dogs with me and the road is notorious for dogs getting ran over. So we found homes for 2 of our loved dogs we had over 4 years and had to bring 2 with us. ONe of them ws very hard to place. He was a St Bernard with health issues. After a few months the ladies with the Humane Society found him a wonderful home in PA. He would get his meds and lots of room to run as he pleased and another dog his size to play with. I'm sure he thinks he's in heaven. The other dog will never leave. I couldn't sell my chickens so I took them to the Auction Barn and sold 23 of them. By the time we actually started moving I was in the hospital with high blood pressure at stroke stage. The stress was just too much.

WE are now in our other place and I have hatched out many eggs. Now that it is winter the BF has to keep building pens to keep the youngsters warm until they arebig enough to join the group in the big coop. I have some cockreals that won't be joining them. To the auction they will go if Craigslist doesn't work.

What is really bad is I won't be here very long either. BF and I will be splitting up, just a matter of time and I refuse to leave my critters again. So the stress has't ended yet. I have to find a place to take them all to. Thats not easy these days.

8. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    thats sad (tear) [​IMG] anyway you could move into a different location or something, where chickens are allowed etc.

9. bheila

bheila Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2008
    Kent, Wa
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. I am facing a similar situation. I am most likely going to have to move off the farm in the near future. I just about can not stand the thought of having to sell my chickens.

I have found a lovely home for the Guineas, they will appreciate where they are going.

Someday, I will get the Guineas back as they are going to a friends property.

Live stock rules and ordinances have to be lived with. I will never purchase a piece of property that does not allow birds or horses.

I have to go to a property for a short time that does not allow either until it is sold.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by