Sad news, it's gonna be a rough year

Tala

Flock Mistress
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Benton (Saline County) AR
Some of you may remember me posting in the fall about my mom having speech problems. She had some doctors appointments at the best hospital in the state in December, but I didn't hear any updates over the holidays.
Thursday night she dropped the bomb on us. They have diagnosed her with ALS. A progressive, degenerative neurological disorder, for which there is very little treatment and no cure. They gave her 2-5 years.
It means that your nerves quit working, so you can't move your muscles, eventually you can't breathe. When it affects your tongue/throat, speech and swallowing is extremely difficult. There is a major risk of choking, even on your own saliva, and malnutrition/starving. She has already lost weight.

This is worse than I ever expected. At least if she had cancer there would be treatment options. This is just depressing no matter how you look at it.
hit.gif

Within the next year I expect her to need care, or at least "watching." I expect that I will probably have to move back in with her. The good news is that they have 10 acres so all my animals can move with me, the bad news is that none of it is fenced. This will be problematic for hubby's job situation, so I have no idea how that will play out. My 22 year old sister is making major changes in the plans she had made. She was applying with an international accounting firm, now she's planning to stay VERY local, and planning to up her wedding date considerably. It is possible that we could be planning mom's funeral before my 16 year old sister graduates high school, but I sure hope not!!!

I seriously doubt mom will get better, but maybe you could pray that she won't get worse. If you would pray for all of us as we go through this!
hit.gif
Mom has been crying all day, and the rest of us sisters aren't much better off.

Oh dear.. I am so, so sorry: hugs I will be praying for you and her, and your entire family!! I lost my mother July 28th from cancer.. She had treatment options, and they killed the cancer.. Unfortunately, it also severely damaged her liver. She made it barely a week once they discovered the damage.. She was fine, then 6 days later... Gone.
I wish her the absolute best. And hope and pray that God will help you find your way through all of this.. Many, many
hugs.gif
and prayers headed your way.

Ms.FuzzyButts :

Oh dear.. I am so, so sorry: hugs I will be praying for you and her, and your entire family!! I lost my mother July 28th from cancer.. She had treatment options, and they killed the cancer.. Unfortunately, it also severely damaged her liver. She made it barely a week once they discovered the damage.. She was fine, then 6 days later... Gone.
I wish her the absolute best. And hope and pray that God will help you find your way through all of this.. Many, many
hugs.gif
and prayers headed your way.

Oh man, that's gotta suck. Just when you thought she was doing better!!
hugs.gif

What I was trying to say, was with treatment options at least you can hold out some hope. With this, there's feeding tubes and breathing masks, but basically you get to sit back and watch her body fail.
hit.gif

Oh Tala,

So sorry to hear the news. We will be praying for you and your family from here in California. Sending you a thousand hugs and daily prayers!!
hugs.gif

Carrie

Back
Top Bottom