Sad news - lost baby buff orp last night

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kriquet, Sep 13, 2009.

1. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    I'm sad - my baby buff-orp ball-o-fluff died last night. I'm not really surprised but it's sad all the same. She arrived spunky and was eating and drinking with the rest but the next morning she was lethargic and wouldn't eat or drink. She was just flopped out and listless. I used a feeding tube and got some dextrose into her but didn't really think it would do much - just made me feel better that I tried. Sigh. Sometimes things just don't work out the way you hope! [​IMG]

I'd like to order a couple more babies but I'm not sure how the different ages might get along. Anyone know? [​IMG]

2. lovemychicns

lovemychicns Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2008
    Rockwell, NC
    I would go for it. I am so sorry for your loss. I never had much trouble and I have been hatching pretty much off and on since last October. You just need to introduce them slow. What I do is put them in the coop and section off a little space for them. I only put them in during the day a first for 3 or 4 days. After all mom has to get used to them being a way to, LOL.
    Then I put them in there space permenatly. I let them out of their space to mingle for a half hour each night but I sit in the coop with them or outside if nice. I keep doing this everyday and lessen the time I am with them until pretty soon they are on their own all night but in their space for another week. Then I take the partician down, give them an upside down box or milk crate so they can hide when they want. It has worked for me.

Hugs
    Karen

3. Emzyyy

Emzyyy Runs with Deer

Jul 14, 2008
    Derby Kansas
    [​IMG]

4. Kriquet

Kriquet Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2009
    Kansas City
    Thank you for the virtual hugs! I think I'll try a few more babies and try your method!
    [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Sorry for the loss of your little chickie...

6. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    I'm sorry about the loss of Ball-O-Fluff.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by