Sad news, my beloved Butika died

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by FarmerDenise, Feb 14, 2008.

1. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Yesterday we were in a hurry to run errands. My cross beaked Butika needed to be fed before we left (as usual). I thought I had the feeding tube down into the crop, but it must have been into her lungs instead. We ignored her protests and emptied the syringe. We both tried to suck the food back out, when we realized what happened. She died in a few seconds.
    I miss my little companion. She would have been a year old on 2/28/08.
    She would be sitting on my shoulder now, nuzzling my neck or cheek.
    Bye my little friend
    Blessed be

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    So sorry for your loss Denise. :aww

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry you lost your baby [​IMG]

4. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Aww, I'm so sorry, but don't beat yourself up too much! Keeping a crossbeak can be really hard so good job! :aww

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Sorry about your loss.I have a crossbeaked Mottled Houdan Roo and he is able to eat fine.

6. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    Thanks for your support. I saw the vet today and he told me that there wasn't anything we could have done, and he was amazed that I kept her going this long.
    Her beak or actually jaw was still moving, when he last saw her in January. We had planned on an artificial lower beak type surgery, but she needed to get up to two pounds and the bone part needed to be stable.

I have liked chickens since I was a kid, and I started keeping them about 18 years ago. But I never expected any one of them to be such a wonderfull companion.
    Butika was badly injured as a chick and I kept her inside with me. Her beak started to cross and the other chicks and hens didn't take kindly to her. So she ended up being my pet indoor chicken.
    Her beak crossed so badly, that she could neither eat nor drink and I fed her with a tube about every 2-3 hours. She slept with me in my bed, under the covers, she cuddled with me, my SO and my stepson, she was happy around people and friends kids could carry her around.
    If I expected to be gone for two hours, I would take her with me and she made friends.
    She made converts where-ever she went. Even in her own front yard.

7. Pinenot

Pinenot Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2007
    [​IMG]

8. bayouchica

bayouchica Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2007
    N.E. Louisiana
    I'm so sorry. I lost my Peeps not too long ago & it's tough to lose a special chicken like your Butika. [​IMG]

9. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    So sorry you lost your special chicken friend.

10. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

:aww I'm so sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by