Sad news that happened on the 4th :(

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by arodnlys, Jul 5, 2011.

1. arodnlys

arodnlys Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    I wake up ready to start an amazing Fourth of July. Notice the Chickens water is knocked off from the coop. Walking out there talking to myself "silly lil chicks, knocking over their water haha" I stop to fine our fluffy black one named beaker laying on its side eyes open just looking at me motionless. I then look for the other one the beautiful golden/black one that's supposed to lay green eggs Honey, on its side as well but headless and multiple bite marks on its body. Feathers everywhere and not other animal in sight. I was Furious and rather quite sad as well. I ran to get the wife and tell her of the bad news, instantly she began balling.

These were not just chickens to have lay eggs and that's all. They were like another pet for us.

Some how the predator moved the water and fit through the 1.5inch by 3inch hole and took both of their lives and was able to get back out.

I live in Oviedo Florida and after talking to local police about it trying to understand what could have done this. Our yard is fenced in with 3/4's wood fence and the other part chain link. We came to conclude either a ferret, small bob cat or possibly a cat did this.

[​IMG]

Hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable Fourth of July

2. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear your sad news [​IMG]. I would be just as upset. Don't let this hinder your want for chickens....get some more. As sad as the situation is, it does happen.

3. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I trap coon that run 3-5 " trails through a marsh if a coon can get his hands and head stuck into a hole he will try to go through it it is a wonder we do not find them stuck more in too samll a hole then we do I have a friend that describes a coon as being able to "turn around all the way in his skin "thats the best I have heard it described they will go into a hole right at 3 1/2 - 4" diameter that is solid on a barn if the hole can give a little like fencing it is easy for them a young coon could probably pull it off

4. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    That is really sad. Some way to have to remember the fourth. I would guess a ferret. I don't think a bobcat's head would fit. What just happened to you is the main reason there will be no exterior holes for anything to enter by. Hardware cloth will cover every opening no matter how small.

Now to fix the exposed hole and replace the dead with new peepers.

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Sorry you had to lose members of your feathered family in such a manner.

6. bburn

bburn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    Delaware, Arkansas
    I dislike racoons intensely.

After four.....I really don't like them at all.

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    so sorry for your loss....[​IMG]

8. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm so very sorry for your loss.[​IMG]. There are so many wild animals to worry about. Weasels can squeeze through a 1-2 inch opening no problem. Raccoons and cats can swipe their paws through the wire and grab the chicks easily as well. It's best not to cut corners when predator proofing.

Our run is not 100% predator proof, but our coop is. Weasels can easily get in on one side through the lattice and I can't get hubby to fix it soon enough. He thinks it is fine. I keep my girls in the coop locked up behind a steel door at night. We have wire securing the ventilation at the top of the coop. Although, it would be pretty difficult for anything to climb up the 8ft wall.

I'd try and replace the loss with 2 chicks of the same breed if possible.

9. kitkatnoah

kitkatnoah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    I am so sorry for your loss [​IMG]

10. arodnlys

arodnlys Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    After reading some stuff on here I'm leaning to either a ferret or raccoon. From the looks and sounds of it the golden one lost its head after reaching out the water hole but the main thing is it had bite marks on its actual body. But was about a foot away from the watering hole. The black one was about 4 inchs from the water hole and look untouched just a lot of missing feathers. Before I/we get our next ones I will be predator proofing it for sure. Which I though with just a well designed and built coop they would be fine. RIP Honey and Beaker

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by