Sad News this morning!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by marie_martin, Apr 27, 2008.

1. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    I have a little mille flure d'uccle baby that I had with a silkie and she aslo has my little bantam barred rocks. Well two different times she left the baby out in the cold or rain and I have found her and nursed her to health. She recovered quickly each time. Just got cold is all and after warming her up she would be eating and doing great. Well, it had rained last night but stopped so I went out to let the chickens out of the coop. I guess in running out they trampled her into the mud and I never saw it until it was too late. She was gone. I was so upset. I should have moved her and her mom and siblings out of the main coop after the last fiasco but I figured they were happier together with the rest of the flock. Should I move my broody who has my new serama chicks? I have an outside brooder box. I can put her and the babies in there for a while until they grow. They are so small? Anyway, guess she was just not meant to be here. I sure hate it. She was the only d'uccle I had. Guess I will try to get more later on.

Marie

2. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Very sorry to hear. [​IMG]

3. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    SO SORRY - Sounds like you need to move the others..

4. BeckyLa

BeckyLa Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    N. Louisiana
    Oh, I'm so sorry. It's so hard when these things happen. [​IMG]

As for broodys, I always take the chicks as they hatch and put them in the brooder till Mum has finished the hatch then I put her in with them. I will leave them in there a full 2 or maybe 3 weeks till the babies have some growth then put them in a pen next to the the adults. After another week I let them all in together. This seems to work well for me.

[​IMG]

5. marie_martin

marie_martin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2007
    Grenada, MS
    would it hurt to put mom in the brooder with my other babies? Just until the babies are a bit older, then I could remove her and her babies and put them back with the flock and keep the rest in the brooder for a while?

Marie

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    So sorry to hear about your loss.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by