Sad news

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bloomnbeauty, Nov 20, 2008.

1. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    None of my cayuga ducks hatched. I have a metal shed that I use to hatch all my babies in and when the weather turned colder it didn't stay warm enough for them despite putting a small heater in there with them. Looks like they made it right up to the end. 10 lil babies gone.[​IMG]

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I am so sorry. I hope your next hatch goes better. I am bad at hatching ducks

3. sdshoars

sdshoars Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Texas
    yeah, everthing i have read said you should never try to hatch in a barn or a shed, it needs to be in the house, where it is temperature controled. try that next time.

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh no! So sorry! [​IMG] I hope your next hatch goes better. And I would try to put the incubator in the shed as well.

5. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    so sorry your hatch failed. Is there any place indoors you could sneak your incubator that would be out of the way, not too cold or drafty, and not in the middle of "people space" and not get jiggled and bumped?

(I know that's asking a lot in this house, plus I have dogs that would kill for an egg if they can find a way to climb up and get them. I finally found a spot that works and I ain't budging!)

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    awww, sorry [​IMG] [​IMG]

Dont be to hard on yourself, and dont give up !!

Better luck next hatch !!

7. bloomnbeauty

bloomnbeauty Delux Cluxs

Sep 16, 2008
    N Florida
    I was hatching in the house and my DD and myself became very ill. The chicken dander was the cause. Thats why they are in the shed. It worked great in the summer since that is all I have in it is my 3 incubators and a small brooder to keep them in the first week, Then I move them to a larger one.
    I have two incubators full of eggs right now. I am working on getting them in the house anyway.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by