Sad News. :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KinderKorner, Apr 15, 2009.

1. KinderKorner

KinderKorner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I candled only 4 eggs today cause I was curious but I didn't want to open the bator too much. It's day 6.

3 out of the 4 seemed to have blood-rings. But this is only my second time candling so I'm no expert. I'm hoping I am wrong and they were just veins... But I'm pretty sure. Wah!

I did everything right this time. I'm not opening the bator except once every day or two, my temp is at 102, my humidity is between 43-45%. The only problems I had were the first 2 days or so, the temp kept bouncing up to 105. But I just it under control quickly. Could that of killed 3/4 of my 30 eggs!?

2. LilDucky85

LilDucky85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    Check out my candled eggs in my BYC page. If there are any veins in the circle then they are alive. I made this mistake once.

3. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    That gives me hope! Cause I did see veining. But also a blood ring. But if you say if there's veins they are alive! yay

4. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    The circle seems to move outward as the veins do. If you see veins they are definitely alive! The information can be misleading when it comes to blood rings. No one says that there WILL be a ring of blood around the egg (accompanied with veining in the center of it) in a living chick too. The websites should say there will be a ring no matter what, but its the embryo and veins that you have to look for!

I just threw this together for you lol. Forgive the crappy picture quality from my cell phone camera. It seemed to catch the early blood ring the best.

[​IMG]

5. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    Are you turning your eggs at least 3 times a day or am I reading what you wrote wrong? Because you should be opening your incubator every day at least 3 times a day to turn your eggs from one side to the other, unless you have an auto turner in place.

Good luck.

Laurie

6. LilDucky85

Feb 8, 2009
    Northern, Illinois
    I just read you have the temp set at 102? I think this is kind of high. That might be killing them off.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    101-102 is fine for a still air. I think you may just be candling too early and not sure what you're seeing. Wait until day 14 and you'll either see an egg full of chick or clear or clear with blood ring. The blood rings are much more obvious later. I never judge a blood ring this early..it could be the vein network.

8. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I pretty much abused my eggs that are in the bator now. I had them too hot too cold, low hum / high hum,..... but to my surprise the most abused batch of eggs has a 100% fertility rate and is set to hatch within the next 36 hours.

9. KinderKorner

Mar 8, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I am trying a new method as a test. Where you tilt the incubator to turn them. I wanted to experiement and see if this works, or if it's not good enough. It's tilted with a block 3 times a day.

I have a still air so 102 is normal.

And thank you. I though if there was a blood ring they are dead. But all of mine have blood rings and veins. ^^ No one gave the information that there can be blood rings and veins.

10. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    You probably have this, ok, but I have to ask...you do have your eggs in carton bottoms or something else so they don't roll around when you tilt the 'bator, right? If so, it should be fine. No different from tilting the cartons, as many people do, and very little different from what a lot of auto-turners do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by