Sad news

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by team guava pastry, Dec 25, 2009.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Our beloved spoiled buff chochin(Stevie) died today. When I found her she was sitting in a dusting spot, and it must of just happened she was still limp.
    I checked her over and no truama, injuries, nothing. She wasn't very old perhaps just a yr old. She has been laying regularly, eating like a pig, so we are shocked!

What a day to go.
    Sad day at TGP yard.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Im so sorry [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Oh how sad, I am very sorry.

4. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

I'm very sorry too. [​IMG] Of all days, I agree.

5. Lolita

Lolita Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    FL
    So sorry [​IMG] -hug-

6. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    Sorry for your loss.....
    [​IMG]

7. little horse

little horse Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2008
    centerville texas
    oh i am so sorry:)

8. SilverPhoenix

SilverPhoenix Bantam Fanatic

Dec 15, 2009
    Penn Valley, CA
    Oh, how sad... I'm so sorry for your loss. [​IMG] I wonder why she passed. Could it have been egg binding or something like that? It's always hard to lose young chickens unexpectedly. I lost two of my girls over the summer to heat stroke and it still saddens me to think of it, over six months later... It's much easier when they die of old age because you know they had a long life and it was just natural. [​IMG] At least she had a good life with people who loved her, even if it was cut short.

9. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I'm so sorry. I had that happen, found a barely two-year-old Wyandotte in a dusting hole. Not a mark on her. A day previously, she was sitting on the ground out of the sun (cold day). I picked her up and examined her and she looked fabulous. The next day, just dead. We did open her up and found loose egg yolk in her abdomen, so she died of peritonitis/salpingitis. Hard to know what happened without a necropsy of some sort.

Lost one point of lay pullet once to a heart defect. One day she is sitting down, her heart just racing. Next day, found her dead with blood in her beak. One chamber of her heart had just exploded, we discovered. Guess coming into lay with a heart defect just did her in. Such a shame!

10. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by