Sad News

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by degan, Jul 13, 2010.

1. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    My two white call ducks flew over their cage last night and the dog got them. I built them a little pond with a house to sleep in surrounded by 4ft chicken wire. When I first put them in one flew out but stuck around the cage so I put him back in and they seemed happy with the set up because for three week they never tried to fly out. My heart is broken they were so cute. I want to know before I get more if they will fly over an 8ft fence or any other suggestions to make sure this never happens again. The dog is not mean he basically was just playing with them but ended up mauling them to death. Please help I need a safe home for my new ducks.[​IMG]

2. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Yes, they'll fly over an 8' fence too. If you want to get more, you could probably use the same set-up you have now, but put flight-netting over the enclosure so they can't get out.

And I'm so sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Sorry you lost your ducks. [​IMG] [​IMG]

You could try clipping their wings to keep them from going over. [​IMG]

Good luck!

4. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    Their cage is at the side of my garage and there is a big dogwood shrub (15ft high) growing beside it. It might be hard to weave the netting around it. How high would I have to put the fence to keep them in? Also I don't know how to clip wings. how often do you have to do it?

5. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Here's a good guide for clipping wings in waterfowl: http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html

Just
    make sure they're done feathering in before you do it - if you clip their wings when the feathers are growing in, there's an active supply of blood flowing to the feather shaft, and they'll end up bleeding and being in a lot of pain. As long as you don't clip any "blood feathers", clipping is perfectly harmless, and you only have to do it once or twice a year - after each molt, when they grow them back in. [​IMG]

6. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    Can they still fly with blood feathers?

7. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I'm sorry for your loss. Have you ever though about getting non-flying ducks instead. I personally have 4 dogs so I went for heavy bread ducks. Their size intimidates the dogs and they leave them alone. I can have them all running in the same yard together without any problem. Obviously I would not leave the dogs alone with the ducks, because you never know. Otherwise you will have to cover your pen, or have to clip their wing feathers. You basically cut the feathers on one wing tip to throw them off balance, that is what stops them from flying. You don't have to cut them completely off, just clip them back a little. There are plenty of images on the net, if you google it.

8. degan

degan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 10, 2010
    Arnprior, Ontario
    I did have heaver ducks at one time, the problem now is I have a fish pond and need to cage ht ducks to keep them out. The duck pond area is not that big so its perfect for the smaller ducks. If I clipp their wings how far off the ground can they get?

9. Baybrio

Baybrio Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Poplar Grove, IL
    Sorry to hear about your calls.

Maybe you could use deer netting. Around here they sell a very light weight netting made of plastic. It is very flexible and could probably go right over the bush. It is very similar to the type of netting put over fruit trees to protect the fruit from birds. I use it to deter hawks in the small run I let my ducklings in during the day. I'm sure it will NOT keep out raccoons but should keep the ducks in.

I also use it to keep my birds from flying into my dog's yard. I have dog and poultry secure fence that is about 4' high, then I attached 1" x 10' pvc posts to the regular fence posts and strung the netting above the 4' tall real fence. It's been up almost a year and is still in good shape. I painted the ugly pvc posts and the netting is almost invisible so while not "pretty" at least its not glaring. The other nice thing about this netting is that it is about $25.00 for 7' x 100' .

10. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    When I've clipped my chickens' wings, they can still fly up to about 4-5 feet high. I don't know about ducks, but I suspect a small call duck would probably be able to get off the ground about the same. I clip the last 8 to 10 flight feathers on the end of the wing -- you can see pictures in a number of books how to do it. Most of the time, you only need to do one wing. Determined birds may need both clipped and you need to keep an eye on the wings because the feathers do grow back. As Annarie said, you need to wait for the feathers to mature before you clip them or it will be painful and you will have a bloody mess. (Styptic powder works to stop the bleeding).

I was scared to clip my birds' wings, but by the time I did the first one, I found it so easy and painless, I did the entire flock. They can still fly and get to their roosts, etc, but can't fly out of the pens. So much easier![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by