1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

:( sad night

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nikki1496, Dec 30, 2013.

1. nikki1496

nikki1496 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Idk if this goes here but i didnt know where else :/
    i went out to check on my chickens before bed and i came across a sad site.... one of our roosters was laying on the coop floor dead :/ its really sad. what could of killed him? there were no visible injuries or blood

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    There's no telling what he died from. Sorry for your loss.

3. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I know how you feel. I'm sorry about your rooster. Sometimes there's a genetic problem and sometimes it is disease. I had a fine Dominique rooster who fell off his roost one night, shrieked in pain, and died almost immediately. He was fine that day, exhibiting no signs of disease.My guess was a heart attack at 2 years old. There are some strains of fowl cholera that can kill a bird quickly. If you suspect disease, or any of your other birds start dying like that, contact a local lab from this list and have a necropsy done:
    http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_health/animal_dis_spec/poultry/downloads/labs_app.pdf
    Fees are usually none to very small for backyard flock owners.

4. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    i think i posted before about him. a few months back my dad found him in the pen barely moving/couldnt stand,etc. but within a day he was fine so idk. he was a polish (top hat) so im not really sure maybe just genetics?

5. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That remains a mystery. How did you acquire that rooster?

6. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    He was a hatchery chick

7. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    That's a bit vague. Do you know which hatchery?

8. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    Sorry. efowl i believe is where i got him and the rest of my current flock

9. Michael Apple

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    I'm not familiar with that supplier, but I'd be careful based on what I've experienced from a few hatcheries I'll never do business with again. There are good and bad hatcheries. It is always wise to order from hatcheries close to the vicinity of your residence. The shipping stress of long distances can cause many problems in otherwise healthy birds. I've raised healthy chickens from Privett and I've also heard good things about stock coming out of Cackle. I see you are in Northern California like me, so if you ever need some advice or want to order chicks again, let me know.

10. nikki1496

Nov 23, 2013
    northern california
    We are planning on getting some from cackle but they are giving me a hard time

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by