Sad, Rooster is gone.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mandelyn, Feb 5, 2011.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Well, I did it, Rooster found a home. To increase his odds, I sent a hen along with him. He was "free", she was $10. It's so weird now! I thought I could keep him, and house him in the basement during Spring/Summer when people could hear him. But that boy, every time he heard me he'd crow. If I yelled at the dogs, there goes the rooster. If I was talking to my husband, off he went. If he heard someone on the TV that sounded like me, he'd respond. If I said his name, "Rooster!" I'd get a bu-bock noise.

But he went to a great farm to be the new 4H Rooster for a 7 year old girl. It pays to make them tame, he let the grandpa "judge" him, pull his wings out, check his back, turn him this way, that way, he was chill through it. My favorite pullet went with him because she matched him best in color.

The 3 remaining pullets are really quiet. They're... worried? About his whereabouts. They'll adjust.

Now all I need is a decent day to take them outside to the coop cage so they can adjust. But I don't want to take them from 62 degrees to 20 in the span of 5 seconds. I need a 3 day series of 50's! Heck, 40's would do. They're growing fast, with 2 gone, there's enough room to get them to March if that's how long it takes the weather to warm up a smidge.

It's so weird not hearing that crow every time I open my mouth. He was starting to get good at it! I'll admit it, I was coaching him through the floor boards and when I went to visit with them downstairs.

2. faykokoWV

faykokoWV Mrs Fancy Plants

Nov 4, 2008
    Cross Lanes, WV
    glad you found a good home for him!

3. taprock

taprock Chillin' With My Peeps

We just rehomed one yesterday. As sad as it is to send them off it is great knowing they are getting a good home... and kids are the greatest, they love them to pieces.

4. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I've had to give away a rooster here & there. I remember the really handsome guy who was just too noisy, his favorite hen Puffy was lost after he left. It made me so sad. I could swear she looked for him. [​IMG]

5. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yeah, that's why I sent my favorite pullet with him, she was his favorite too!

But you know, I posted that add several times, with him at $5, or $30 for a Trio, tried all sorts of pricing, but what got the most interest (as in several responses instead of none) was this title "FREEEE Sweet Young Cockerel" over "Young Pair Golden Lakenvelder Chickens" over "10 week Golden Lakenvelder Chickens" ... no responses at all for the last two. But throw in FREEEEEEEEE and a non-specific title and I had all kinds of interest. No one wanted to spend money for him, but I never changed the price on the girl! I had good pictures too through the whole rehoming process.

6. Leecie

Leecie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2011
    Berkeley,Calif
    I to am looking for a new home for my two beautiful silkie boys. They were featured in a article in the S.F. chronicale a week ago sunday. They are in a temporary home, but my girls are depressed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by