Sad sad day today. Lost my baby.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenlady08, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Songster

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    I am so very upset right now I can't even type without crying. Ok so last nite I went to close everyone up and I have 4 broody hens inside of one coop. I always check the eggs and make sure the girls are on the right nest so I noticed that one egg had pipped and there was a cute little hole in the egg. Let me also mention this is an egg from 1 one my VERY FAVORITE hens. She is Olivia. I watched her lay this egg and since she is so sweet I wanted to hatch one of her offspring. This egg had been with another broody hen that hatched out a chick and continued to sit on this BR egg so when she decided to get off the nest to tend to her little one so I just stuck it under another hen. Now this is before she had stepped on the egg and cracked it and put a little indention in there. No fluid or blood came out and the membrane looked like it was intact so I applied clear fingernail polish to the crack and placed a piece of clear tape over the indention. Now imagine my delight when it was still thriving and growing and was due to hatch out tomorow. It was gonna come 1 day early. Man I was so excited but I made a HORRIBLE mistake. I didn't move my momma hen with my precious BR chick egg. And yep you guessed it. I came out at 6:15 this morning and the other hens had broken the egg and the baby chick was being attacked on the other side of the coop. I rushed inside and yelled to get them away and I picked it up. the poor thing was in my hand dying and I was [​IMG] my eyes out and still am. I am such an idiot to not have taken the hen out of the coop with my favorite BR egg.
    this is going to be the worst day ever.[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for hearing me rant.

2. slackwater

slackwater Songster

Feb 1, 2010
    SoMD
    [​IMG]

3. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] i am so sorry ..

4. cindy99

cindy99 Songster

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    [​IMG]

5. blefky

blefky life in the yard

Mar 18, 2010
    stamford, ct
    [​IMG] So sorry, but please don't be too hard on yourself. We live and we learn - next time you'll do better. [​IMG]

6. Amyh

Amyh Songster

Jul 11, 2010
    North Carolina
    Oh no! I am so sorry! [​IMG]

7. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    I am so sorry. Big hugs to you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by