Sad sad day today. Lost my baby.

chickenlady08

Songster
10 Years
Jul 27, 2009
Eastern Shore, VA
I am so very upset right now I can't even type without crying. Ok so last nite I went to close everyone up and I have 4 broody hens inside of one coop. I always check the eggs and make sure the girls are on the right nest so I noticed that one egg had pipped and there was a cute little hole in the egg. Let me also mention this is an egg from 1 one my VERY FAVORITE hens. She is Olivia. I watched her lay this egg and since she is so sweet I wanted to hatch one of her offspring. This egg had been with another broody hen that hatched out a chick and continued to sit on this BR egg so when she decided to get off the nest to tend to her little one so I just stuck it under another hen. Now this is before she had stepped on the egg and cracked it and put a little indention in there. No fluid or blood came out and the membrane looked like it was intact so I applied clear fingernail polish to the crack and placed a piece of clear tape over the indention. Now imagine my delight when it was still thriving and growing and was due to hatch out tomorow. It was gonna come 1 day early. Man I was so excited but I made a HORRIBLE mistake. I didn't move my momma hen with my precious BR chick egg. And yep you guessed it. I came out at 6:15 this morning and the other hens had broken the egg and the baby chick was being attacked on the other side of the coop. I rushed inside and yelled to get them away and I picked it up. the poor thing was in my hand dying and I was
hit.gif
my eyes out and still am. I am such an idiot to not have taken the hen out of the coop with my favorite BR egg.
this is going to be the worst day ever.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif

Thanks for hearing me rant.

Back
Top Bottom