SAD, sad, incredibly sad day!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lexustami, Dec 20, 2007.

1. lexustami

lexustami Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    St. Clairsville, OH
    Hello all,

Yesterday was one of the worst days ever.

I have 5 horses. All the horses are what some people would call "throw aways". Horses that their owners thought were no longer useful. Instead of sending them to auction they were given to me. They have health problems or behavior problems. I give them a place to run free and a place to be loved on.

My 2 oldest horses, Ginger (24 yr old QH) and Sundance (20 yr old Appy) are the horses that had health problems. Sundance is blind and Ginger was his guide horse. Without her, he could not get around and when he couldn't find her he was in panic mode. He could lose her in the stall!

Anyway, Ginger hasn't been doing too good lately. I believe she had cancer. I called the vet on Tuesday and told her I needed her to come out and put Ginger to sleep. She was still standing, eating and drinking good but she was not too much more than skin and bones. She lost a lot of weight over the last month.

We set up an appt. for yesterday at 1pm. I had to call around and find someone with the equipment to dig us a hole. On my last attempt, I finally found someone. He was scheduled to come out at 12:30.

Yesterday morning when we went out to the barn, Ginger was laying down in her stall. I poured her food in the food bucket and she didn't get up. She just looked up at me and then layed her head back down. She didn't even get up when Sundance stepped on her. This was not going to be good.

I got my DH and he tried to get her to get up. She wasn't budging. We tried for hours to get her up. She finally passed an hour before the vet arrived.

We then had to make another heart wrenching decision. Sundance was freaking out without Ginger. My other mares don't like him and are extremely mean to him. (probably because he can't see their visual cues.) We decided that he would be better layed to rest with his best friend.

My DH cried himself to sleep. He had a very special bond with Sundance. He was the only one, besides Ginger, who could get him to calm down.

I know they are both in a better place. I kind of have it in my mind, kind of like a cartoon. They both passed and are now young again, Sundance can see again and they are both running around green pastures. I can see the wind in their manes and the happiness in their hearts.

[​IMG]
    Ginger

[​IMG]
    Sundance

Take care,

Tami

2. lizardz

lizardz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Grass Valley, CA
    Oh, Tami,
    I am so sorry for your losses. While we know they have gone to a better place, it does not ease the sorrow in our hearts. I know what it's like to look out to the pasture and see someone missing. Bless you for giving them love and comfort in their final years. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
    Liz

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Oh, that is such a sad story - I'm so, so sorry about your horses.

Hugs to you!

4. LynnGrigg

LynnGrigg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2007
    Winston Salem, NC
    Bless you for caring for them. I'm so sorry for your loss. -Lynn

5. JaciesCoop

JaciesCoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2007
    Arizona
    You are very special to have given them the love they needed. God Bless you and them.
    Jacie

6. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] My heart breaks for you. I will be praying for peace and comfort for you and DH. The loss of a pet is a very difficult thing.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Tami, you made a wise and heart-wrenching decision, based on the horses happiness and not your own. Blessings on you and your DH for your strength and love for God's creatures.

8. Oh Tami, I'm crying with you [​IMG]
    That's such a sad sad thing.

Lisa

9. Chellester

Chellester Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    [​IMG]

Tami, I am so sorry for your losses. I just lost my horse a few weeks ago, so I feel your pain.

Please know you did the right thing, and they are indeed in a better place.

10. ChickieDee

ChickieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    North Central PA
    So sorry [​IMG]
    It's never easy to say goodbye to old friends

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by