Sad . . . she's broody again.

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
I've got one girl who goes broody every 6 weeks. Very sad putting her into the wire broody buster cage tonight. She always seems so bewildered about the whole thing. . . like one minute she's cozy pancaked in an empty nest box and the next minute I scoop her up and she's in an elevated cage! I hope it works fast. Last time she was broody it lasted 40 days and then took her 18 days to recover before she started to lay again. She's my best layer when she isn't broody, molting or having a hidden nest. . . . which seems to be most of the time.
barnie.gif

In the Spring I'll have to get her some eggs, but not sure what to do with any extra roos. . . we aren't supposed to have any here.
sad.png

After the cage failed (with repeated attempts) with mine, I just let them sit now. I move them out of the way when I clean or collect eggs. My leghorn sat the longest, - about 70 days! I figure she deserved a long rest, after laying almost daily for so long.

I feel your pain. One of my silkie hens was broody from June to October...
barnie.gif
I finally shut her out of the coop. Her name is Goon. Weirdest silkie ever!

After 4 hatches this summer I love my broodies. Though I feel your pain as far as missing the eggs.

I did read a good anti broody option on byc the other day. Freeze some eggs, put them under your broody.
Change to new frozen eggs every few hours. I'm trying this option next time.

I have a hen that the previous owner said went broody 3x since spring, I'm hoping she'll go broody and I can put some eggs under her. As far as extra roos (we're not supposed to have them either) I'll just offer them on CL for free (they go fast here). Good luck.

Heck, I rent our broodies out to folks who want eggs or chicks raised. I've even stuck a few ducklings under one to raise.
big_smile.png

Broodies are an opportunity with a 21 day deadline.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom