Sad Silkie feet

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pixiechick, May 31, 2008.

1. pixiechick

pixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Jonesborough, TN
    A pair of elderly white silkies we rescued have terribel feet! The skin is white a crusty and sometimes it seem like the ends of their toes break off! The guy we got them from said that silkies are known for problems like that but I've found no info about it anywhere. None of our other chickens have ever had this problem. Any ideas?

2. meriruka

meriruka Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    I rescued a hen with really bad feet, she had lost all but one toe on each foot. Are the nails long and nasty? Does the foot smell? If it's a fungus, I really can't help. If it's the result of infection or cuts you can soak the feet in a dishpan of antibacterial soap (two squirts and a pinch of baking soda.) Then gently pat them dry, but try to get all the dirt/poo off. Spread Neosporin (non pain kind, regular) on a square no stick pad, place on the bottom of the foot, wrap w/ some gauze and tape the whole shebang with nonstick tape. All this stuff can be had at the local drugstore. Change every other day. You should see some pinkish skin(healing) and the dead skin will peel off eventually.
    I think a pic of the feet would really help if you can get one. Good luck!

Oh, I forgot, you will have to trim the feathers on the feet first........

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  3. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    my silkies have never had that. on occasion their feet flake because of the feathers but i think you best bet is to do whats above, and if it is fungus go to your local feed/pet store or a veternerian

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by