Sad Silkie?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by marvmars, Aug 15, 2010.

1. marvmars

marvmars New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    I have 4 chickens, two of which were laying eggs including my one Silkie. My Silkie went broody on me and sitting on the eggs so I started taking the eggs and putting her outside with the rest of the hens. Now both her and my other hen have stopped laying eggs, but the Silkie is still staying in the nest even tho theres no egg to sit on and doesnt want to come out. She doesnt seem to be eating much either. Is this normal behaviour for a Silkie?? Thanks for any advice. Ive had my hens since February so they are about 6 months old.

2. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    Silkies are notoriously difficult to break from their broodiness and my guess is she's still broody. Can you give her some eggs to hatch?

3. marvmars

marvmars New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    I dont have any fertilized eggs. Is it normal for her to sit in there even tho theres not an egg to sit on?? I wonder if I should make a temporary pen outside to keep her from going back into the coop and sitting in the nest all day.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Completely normal whene they are broody. They don't seem to care if there aren't any eggs....they'll try to hatch the straw if you let them! lol If you can get her some fertile eggs to sit on, she'll be happy. If you can't then you'll need to break her. Good luck!

5. marvmars

marvmars New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    So I went and got a couple of fertilized eggs. Should I put both of them in there? Will the baby chicks be ok outside with the Silkie? Its pretty warm right now, Im in Northern California, San Jose area. Thanks for your guys help!

6. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sure, put both eggs in with her. My silkies have been good moms and the babies should be fine with her... snuggle under when they need to... I've even had surprise Fall (Central Illinois) babies that did well.

7. marvmars

marvmars New Egg

Apr 14, 2010
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by