Sad situation!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Fussy8, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    So my rooster has been very sweet to my hens and me but reasently he has been a little mean to the hens! His top hen got mad and started pulling out his head feathers (He has a crest) and he has not grow them back from the first time they pulled them out (2 or 3 months ago)! I'm really worried about him getting hurt! Somewhere i read that if a crested bird gets its feathers pulled from its head it can mentally and or physically scar them or worse kill!! I need help! And NO I will NOT eat him or cull him!!!!!!!!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    You ay end up having to remove him from the flock, one way or another.

If you can identify one bully among the hens, then remove her for a week, so she will be at the bottom of the pecking order when you return her. Works well in many cases.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    You can't "mentally scar" a chicken
    They don't KNOW what they look like

4. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    just don't show them a mirror! [​IMG]

What breed is your rooster? I think you may be thinking of silkies with vaulted skulls...their freaky skulls are more delicate than most breeds, but not all silkies have vaulted skulls. As far as feather re-growth, they need protien. Maybe start giving him things like scraps of meat, and mashed up boiled eggs. If his crest is extreme, trimming it a bit may help him see better so he can get away, or defend himself better. I think someone on here actually uses ponytail holders on their silkies...they take the hair ties out at night.

If the picking becomes a problem, removing the bossiest for a week or so like flockwatcher stated. It will upset the flock dynamic, and reset the pecking order.

5. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by