Sad Soap Opera fan (Guiding Light / As The World Turns)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Dipsy Doodle Doo, Sep 23, 2010.

1. Hi! In the 'grand scheme' of television marketing, does anyone know why these shows were canceled? They were both such staples of day-time tv (they were my Grandma's *shows* from way back) and I can't imagine why they were both just canceled. It was fun to take a late lunch and catch up on the familiar characters and their drama.
    Was there a *thing* I missed?
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

2. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it is just a sign of the times. Internet, satellite and all those shows, just no market for them anymore. I can't believe DOOL's is still on. I caught a few minutes of it today, first time in YEARS and I use to be so hooked on it I planned my day around it so I would be able to see it (what a dum dum I was back then!!!) and its still goofy . . .can't believe how "young" the older ones look. It always tickled me when someone would have a baby and then in two years that kid was in college and their mom still looked like a cheer leader. [​IMG]

3. twentynine

twentynine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2009
    Shame to say it and if any body repeats this------

My world ended years ago when they took Edge Of Night off the air.

4. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Yep, the sign of times! Never did like soapies but my hubby's mother is a soap opera fanatic and she woudl literally tape EVERY soap shows every day, five days a week, 360 days a year LOL! Talk about a die hard fan!

5. Hi! Honestly, I'd say I'm not a fan but just disappointed that those just vanished. My Grandma and I would have conversations when she'd spend 15 minutes just catching me up on the soaps (she did love her stories), so them just vanishing is like cutting a tie.
    I'm curious... were they not current, cutting edge, pertinent anymore --- for daytime television? If Housewives of where-ever replaces them, I swear I'll write tv off completely.
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:Maybe they could bring back reruns of "All That Glitters," "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" or "Soap."

7. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Seems to me if you're not a reality show, you get nixed. TV is soooo boring these days.

8. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Who TV geared to???? Alot of us are older but we dont want that crap all over the airwaves, shows that are "junk" and short lived.

What happened to all the family shows? Cosby Show is one of the favorites of mine. Home Improvement was another one for laughs.

Might just watch them all on TVLand channel!

9. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    I miss both of them, I heard they were canceled because Proctor and Gamble ,Their sponsers weren't going to sponser them any more, and they could'nt get another sponser

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by