Sad story...happy ending

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Thommiekins, Jun 22, 2010.

1. Thommiekins

Thommiekins Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Humboldt Co. CA
    So about three weeks ago I get a call at work (I work at a local feed/pet store) from a girl who has found a 'hen' in her front yard. She can't keep it so was wondering if we knew anyone who would take her. I, being the sucker and chicken addict that I am said that I would take 'her'. About a half an hour later this chicken arrives. And let me tell you I was kinda grossed out. It was missing all of 'her' tail feathers, most of her head feathers and 1/2 of the top part of 'her' beak, oh, and SHE turns out to be a HE. He obviously had been mauled by some kind of animal. So, after trying to find him another home I took him out to my parents, where all of the chickens are and I let him out into the field. The past three weeks he has become the BEST little chicken. He follows my dad around the property and comes when hes called. His tail and head feathers are growing back and he LOVES being fed treats. He tries to climb into the treat bucket! We call him either Big Chicken (don't know why big, hes the smallest out there) or today Mom thought Phillipe was good [​IMG]

So, what I am wondering is what the HECK he is. Obviously he's a bantam (he's fairly small). He has feathery black legs. A red single comb....and what looks like polish-ish feathers growing back onto his head.
    Here he is:
    [​IMG]

Please! Anyone have an idea of what he is?

Thanks

2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I would say a silkie mix...

3. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    HE PERTY!!! [​IMG]
    I'd say mutt

4. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I don't know what he is but I am soo glad you took him in....he is very pretty.

5. Thommiekins

Thommiekins Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2010
    Humboldt Co. CA
    A silky mix is possible.

Any other ideas?

I also believe that he is most likely some kind of mutt.

6. my3chickens

my3chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Maryland
    That was so sweet of you to take him in..... He's a good boy because he's grateful that you saved him! I find that the rescues, any kind of animal, turn out to be the best pets.

Best of Luck!

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    well, I have no doubt it is a silkie cross.....dark skin, feathered shanks, beard, crest..... my guess would be parent silkie was crossed with a wheaten colored, single combed bird

8. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Quote:I agree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by