Sad story hoping for happy ending

angnic22

Chirping
Mar 24, 2016
Hi all. My favorite black molted rooster was killed by something yesterday. It was so sad. He was grievous and a great little protector.

Long story short, I want to try and hatch some of his eggs so I bought the Little Giant 9300 with turner at TSC.

I'm starting to read threads and get comfortable with what needs to be done. If anyone is willing to post their steps, pitfalls, what to watch out for, etc., I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of Mighty Moo

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss! I hope you can get to hatch some of his chicks now. Here is a really wonderful guide on everything incubating and hatching and Sally has an ongoing incubation thread that you are welcome to join as well:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Best of luck!

Thank you so much!! What a wealth of info!

I have the incubator set up and am monitoring temp/humidity for the next couple days. I'll start the process on Sunday with however many prospective eggs the girls give me.

I'll also keep a pic log and will start a post and keep it updated.

Thanks again!

Thank you so much!! What a wealth of info!

I have the incubator set up and am monitoring temp/humidity for the next couple days. I'll start the process on Sunday with however many prospective eggs the girls give me.

I'll also keep a pic log and will start a post and keep it updated.

Thanks again!
That model of LG is notorious for the gages being off so make sure that you have your own accurate thermometers and hygrometer in the bator. Most people I know that use the newer digital LGs hae to set them at least 2 degrees higher to get the inside temps where they need to be. I use an older LG for hatching. I have great hatches, it's just a little more work. I also highly recommend a low humidity incubation method, especially with the styros, and monitoring the air cells to know how to adjust. I use this method and swear by it: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I also come from a more hands on perspective for hatching and take the views in this guide: http://hatching411.weebly.com/

Thanks so much! I read about that and am using 2 other thermometers. It's actually not too far off. At least not as much as I've seen for others. I know it doesn't take much to cook them so thanks for telling me. And thanks for the link. Gonna go watch it now.

Btw, I am running dry for first couple weeks then adding water. I found an aquarium tube that fits through a vent hole which will make it much easier (and less interruptive) to fill.

Thanks so much! I read about that and am using 2 other thermometers. It's actually not too far off. At least not as much as I've seen for others. I know it doesn't take much to cook them so thanks for telling me. And thanks for the link. Gonna go watch it now.

Btw, I am running dry for first couple weeks then adding water. I found an aquarium tube that fits through a vent hole which will make it much easier (and less interruptive) to fill.
Best of luck!! Here's another article with a bunch of info:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/incubating-w-friends-helpful-notes-links-informational-post-links

I agree with what Amy said on the temp & humidity stuff. I've had good luck with low humidity incubation in styros as well.

Hi all. My favorite black molted rooster was killed by something yesterday. It was so sad. He was grievous and a great little protector.

Long story short, I want to try and hatch some of his eggs so I bought the Little Giant 9300 with turner at TSC.

I'm starting to read threads and get comfortable with what needs to be done. If anyone is willing to post their steps, pitfalls, what to watch out for, etc., I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance.

Here's a pic of Mighty Moo

So sorry for your loss. Others have given you excellent advice on the incubator, but I wanted to add the same thing happened last year with my little Old English Game bantam rooster. We spent over a week trying to find a replacement rooster and only then decided to try and hatch some eggs (a decision we should have made a week earlier.) I saved eggs for a few days, didn't want them getting too old since Shrimpboat was gone, then pulled some eggs from the refrigerator (I have had large fowl eggs hatch that had been refrigerated so was hoping.) I set 15 eggs and five hatched. None of the refrigerated ones did but five of the six others hatched, and I got two hens and three little roosters that were exact replicas of their father.
Good luck!

Oh how cool Dekel! I had an OEG. He was a mean one. Smallest of the group but when he crawled my chest from a perch, it was his time.

He was my only like his breed. I have a grey bantam Cochin, golden comets and 1 bar rock. Will be interesting to see how they come out. Lol

Thanks to everyone for the input and advice. It men's so much to me.

Back
Top Bottom