Sad...the rescue cockerels have to be culled today :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Sep 5, 2010.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    My cornish X rescues have had 13 weeks of the good life, 13 weeks of life that they wouldn't have had otherwise. They've foraged, they enjoyed the sushine and fresh air, dustbathing and watermelon treats.
    Still, I can't keep 10 extra cockerels. I have two favorites that I'd like to keep, Ollie and Gimpy, but my little turken roo is already trying to beat the snot out of them every time he gets the chance and they just stand there and take it. I can only imagine what would happen to them against my adult rooster, Thor. I held Gimpy on my lap for a long time yesterday evening and then gave him a piece of watermelon all to himself.
    This evening my DH is going to take them to the other end of the farm and cull them.
    I'll still have the 8 meatie pullets, but it's the cockerels that have had the best personalities. [​IMG]

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

So sorry Gritty,

[​IMG]

Impie

3. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    [​IMG]:hugs:hugs:hugsSo sorry - we culled 4 cockerells two weeks ago - they were tearing the flesh of my chickens and were very aggressive - it is so peaceful now but one cockerell in particular was a big softie with me - he was also huge and very heavy!

Yes it is hard but necessary - you are doing the right thing for the sake of your flock!

Suzie

4. MaggieRae

MaggieRae Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    North Texas
    I'm sorry, gritsar.
    I remember how hard it was to get rid of my rooster, and he was a violent jerk. But I still loved to watch him interact with the girls and he always posed so I could take a pretty picture of him.
    At least you get to keep two. [​IMG]

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I'm sorry for your loss. If only we could keep ALL the chickens we fall in love with.

[​IMG]

6. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    I hate parting with animals! My boxer Ruby had to get put down last December.[​IMG] She was 13 years old and my mom got her even before I was born and she had 3 litters of puppies and we got to keep 1 of them. His name is Buddy and he's turning 6 this year.

7. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] That sucks, Gritty.. [​IMG]

8. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    I am despirately seeking homes for my roos. I have two that need to go soon but one I am hiding so I can breed from him as he has the blue/green egg gene.

I think I will cry soooo much when Duck and Nugget go but I am hopeful to find them homes. As for Blue we hatched him ourselves helped him from the shell and hand reared him. We love him but hes a darn Roooo its just not fare! I could have had a lovely blue egg laying pullet now hes a darn Roo no one wants next door!

Oesdog [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] My roos are 12 and 13 weeks old!

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well I decided to keep Ollie. He's really big - like 6 lbs. at 13 weeks and very active, so I'm hoping he'll learn to defend himself.

10. oesdog

oesdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Ireland
    Glad you kept one !!!!!!!!! It is good you did. Its so hard isn;t it. I have the three roos and I am despirately trying to get homes for two rather than cull. I am sooooo wanting to keep blue but not sure if I can keep him quiet! Oh I hate neighbors who hate chickens!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Oesdog - [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by