Sad today

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by chickenmom1, Aug 14, 2010.

1. chickenmom1

chickenmom1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Lost a great roo and an 8 week old pullet. Hawk I think. Hope the girls lay today. They didn't yesterday.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    [​IMG] sorry for your loss.
    is this the similar story with the hawk issue yesterday ? ill have to find the thread. if so, i am sorry "those darn hawks"!! [​IMG]

your post-
    I've got three big piles of scat that keep getting closer and closer to my coop. I'm not sure but it might be coyote or fox. Tonight is the night, any suggestions. The scat is outside the yard of my coop.
    J

i found your original post about a possible predator, sorry it did end up happening. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Very sad. The pred will be back so any survivors need to be in lockdown for a few days at least or until you pred proof.
    JJ

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Sorry for your loss.

5. chickenmom1

Jan 29, 2010
    Is the myth about hens lay better with a roo true? I know the hawk will be back. I left a 10 inch opening in a cover net yesterday and that's what happened. Can you believe it. I never would have thought a hawk would go through. It was on the side not the top. I sured it up and now I have to cover my other yard where the roo was.
    Thanks,
    J

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    The presence of a rooster has no impact on egg production. Predator attacks can cause a reduction in or cessation of egg production. Chickens do not handle stress well. Sadly enough, the hawk will be back. Repair your pen top for security.

7. chickenmom1

Jan 29, 2010
    I will be looking for a new roo and I have 35 9 week old pullets. How can I tell the sex? Any suggestions? I am hoping that if I raise him myself and handle him daily he will have a nice demeanor like my old one.
    J

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sadly enough, daily handling of a rooster can foster aggressive behavior as he matures. Love on your hens and make your roosters respect you.

9. MysticScorpio82

MysticScorpio82 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Maine, USA
    I am so sorry for your losses! [​IMG]

Yes, it is just a myth that a roo improves egg production. They probably aren't laying because of the stress the hawk caused. They will start up again soon.

As for how to tell if you have a roo in your mix. Since they are 9 weeks old now, you should be able to by the comb. In a roo it will be turning pink or red by now. If you can post some pics in the "what gender/breed is this" section, we can help you out. [​IMG]

Again I am sorry for your losses. I do recommend keeping them penned up for a couple days.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  10. chickenmom1

Jan 29, 2010
    Thanks, I will post some.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by