Sad update, please tell me my chicks will be okay

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BGinVA, Oct 3, 2012.

1. BGinVA

BGinVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Saturday afternoon my husband completed the roof on the chicken coop and it is all done. I moved my brooder coup out into the run with the plan of continuing supervised play dates but with the little ones in constant view. Sadly Saturday evening, my husband died unexpectedly at 55 years old. For a couple of days I tried to continue the supervising them when I could, but everybody was spending too much time in the coup and not enough time in the run as my time to supervise has been extremely limited. So today I decided to just let them all out at the same time and let them work it out and it will be what it is. I hope I don't regret this decision, I just can't follow my carefully constructed integration plan at this time. The little chicks are 5 weeks old, the big chicks are 14 weeks old now I think. There has been some pecking and bullying in the past that's why I was taking it slow, but I've not seen any blood or feathers, but that has been while they are being supervised. Are they going to be okay? Will they survive establishing the pecking order?

2. dandychics

dandychics Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2012
    Unfortunately, I am new to raising chickens myself; however, I just wanted to say that I am so sorry for your loss.

3. KnobbyOaks

KnobbyOaks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Central Texas
    I too am new to chickens like dandychics but I wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss. Sometimes we cannot go to the lengths we want to and this is probably one of these times. Please come back often and let us know how you and your chicks are doing.

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm so sorry for your loss [​IMG] It is really touching that you are concerned about your chicks during this difficult time. A bit of bullying is to be expected. Just keep an eye out for injuries. Hopefully they will sort themselves out quickly and be O.K.

5. BGinVA

Thanks for the thoughts. Went out and checked on them once last night when I couldn't sleep, the little chicks didn't go to their brooder coop or the big coop last night they huddled up against the side of the run, the big chicks put themselves to bed as usual. This morning I went out to check on them and a pullet was chasing a little one, I gave her the "ah" like I always do and she stopped immediately. I just talked to my son, we are going to give it a couple of days and then if the little chicks don't figure it out we are going to try the sneaking them in at night technique, its not what I wanted to do but it will have to do. Thanks again.

6. bucky52

bucky52 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    i'am so sorry for your loss.

7. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I may not know you, but please accept my sincerest condolences on the loss of your husband; this must be an extremely difficult time for you. I'm glad that he was able to finish the coop's roof prior to his untimely passing, and I pray it will bring you (some) comfort as you continue in your chicken-raising journey. I'll be praying for you...and for health to your chickens who are now sheltered by your husband's handiwork.

Once again, so very sorry for your loss.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. BGinVA

I appreciate all the words of comfort, but I have to correct my oringal post, it wasn't the roof of the coop but the roof of the run. Once I reread it, I was like "what?". The coop and run are 99.999% complete we just have to put some trim on one window. I'm still in shock and struggling but the chicks seem to be doing well. The big chicks put themselves to bed as the sun set as was their habit, but the babies aren't joining them despite the door being left open. We will figure it out, but honestly deep down I'm hoping and praying that the babies will eventually just start folloiwng the big chicks to the coop at night, not sure how long I should wait for that to happen though before hosting an intervention.

9. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Sorry for your loss. I would put them up in the coop for the night so they wake up in the morning with the rest of the crew. It may take a couple of nights doing so but they should get the hang of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by