Sad :-(

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Jan 12, 2009.

1. I just had to put one my hens down about an hour ago. It was my last Maran and she laid a beautiful speckled brown egg.
    I went out to gather eggs at about 4pm and found her, all puffed up and laying down in a nest box, pupils dialated and obviously in shock. I scooped her up and brought her inside only to find about 4" of her egg laying equipment hanging out [​IMG] She was already so weak and had so much on the outside that I just knew I wouldn't be able to save her and then thought about the possibility that it could happen to her again and didn't want her to be in that kind of pain ever again.
    After spending 4 1/2 hours at the Dr. office myself today for all sorts of testing and things I had to come home to that... I felt so bad for her.

I have one egg of hers in my kitchen right now that I want to save, but I'm petrified to try and blow it out in case I break it. Is there any other way to preserve it?

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Oh, oh, oh
    [​IMG]

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am so sorry to hear about your hen. You did the right thing, poor birdie!!! I believe if you just leave the egg out it will dry up inside over time. I would not want to attempt to blow it out either. [​IMG]

5. Thanks guys ((Hugs))

I will leave the egg somewhere safe to dry out. It's such a pretty egg, wish I could take a pic of it to show you guys.

6. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

I am so sorry about your girl. It sound like you did the kindest thing for her. Poor dear. [​IMG]

7. skirbo

skirbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Walton County, NW FL
    I'm sorry about your girl.

Sarah

8. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    aaawwww I am so sorry. I really hope I do not have to go through that with any of my girls. I just want them to go happy and old. Wishful thinking I know.

9. Beau coop

Beau coop Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    WNY
    oh no. I am so sorry to hear about your girl. [​IMG]

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry about your girl [​IMG]
    Won't the egg rot if left out? I did blow out the first egg we got. I didn't do it since I was 8 (27 years ago) and it was very easy. I would be afraid the egg would rot and explode. Maybe you should start a new thread asking for ways to preserve an egg, you would probably get lots of suggestions. Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by