sad :(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lottyloo, Nov 4, 2010.

1. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    I got home earlier and went strait to the chickens and checked on Roxy and her 5 babies and found 'sunshine' the one that hatched first had been squashed [​IMG] it looked like she had broke her neck.

Is this common?

2. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    it does happen occsionally...especially with inexperienced broodys....hope the others do well. I had an ameraucana go broody yesterday. Her first clutch.

3. lottyloo

lottyloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2010
    Good luck with your broody and her clutch.

My other hen who went broody (she had only just started laying so had never been a mom) done very well and with 10 babies and they are now growing into lovely chickens.

Unfortunatly i went down this morning to check on her and another was sqaushed [​IMG] she only has 3 now but i dont know if they will survive tbh. She doesnt realise that she hurts the chicks when she pushed past them or that she needs to call to them to let them know where she is, to eat ect.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Can you remove the remaining chicks and fix up a brooker inside for them? I'm afraid your hen is going to have more "accidents," until you have no living chicks. I wouldn't risk leaving the rest with her. Maybe next time she will be a better mom - maybe not.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by