saddle feathers? -pin feather? --hen feathering?---help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by kellykate, Apr 25, 2009.

1. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    ok I have a 8 chicks each a different breed --(errr why did I do this? makes is very hard to sex them since I can't really compare them to each other) They are 5 weeks old and their wing feathers are filled in and most are getting some coverage on their back.

I have looked through my Storey's Guide and here but found very few pictures of the saddle feathers which help determine sex. I was wondering if anyone had a photo of saddle feathers or pin feathers? I am having trouble differentiating them from the other feathers that have grown in. And then to really mix me up I read in Storey's that my Campine has hen feathering --ahhh what is this??

If it would be easier for my to just post photos of my 8 -- I can do that too. Thanks!!![​IMG]

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Male Brahma, notice the saddle feathers just in front of the tail? They are white with black in the middle just like the hackle feathers up front, see how the feathers come to e a "point"? That's a typical male saddle feather (different colorations of course!):
    [​IMG]

Female saddle feathers, notice how they are rounded?:
    [​IMG]

Hen feathering is exactly what it sounds like. It's where the male feathers in like a female (no pointy feathers, no long sickle feathers on the tail).

3. kellykate

kellykate Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Yarmouth, Maine
    *perfect* --I am a visual person so I just needed to see some good photos of what to look for -- Thanks!! When do you see these feathers come in?

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    3 months is a general time for me at least. But you will definitely be able to tell by 5 months.

5. jaja

jaja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    i was reading about the saddle feathers
    i want to ask about my 4 months old buff columbian brahma, the color look like females but the saddle feathers changed, females or males?

[​IMG]

6. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Female. :)

7. jaja

jaja Out Of The Brooder

Jun 26, 2012
    thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by