1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Saddle Feathers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MysteryChik, Jun 15, 2016.

1. MysteryChik

MysteryChik Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 10 (apparently game fowl as I have found out on here) chicks that are approximately 11 week old chicks that we can't tell if they are roos or pullets. I was wondering when they will start to get saddle feathers. Maybe they already have them not sure. Yesterday, we bought 4 Plymouth Barred rocks who are 4 months old apparently. One rooster and three hens. Their (what I think are saddle feathers) are pretty easy to see but our little ones we can't see saddle feathers on them at all. So my question is when do saddle feathers start showing good so we can try to sex them? I will try to post pics later of the game fowl. but just for fun here are a few pics of our new Chickens.. they are beautiful and so friendly. Hoping they start laying soon.

2. MysteryChik

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. MysteryChik

Sorry, for posting AGAIN. but I circled the feathers, are the "saddle feathers" the fluffier ones or no?[​IMG]

4. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    On cockerels who will have multi-colored feathers, you will be able to see the colorful pin feathers by parting the back feathers in front of the tail on the back. They begin to appear around six weeks old.

On cockerels with monochrome feathers such as Barred Rocks, it harder to see, but the pin feathers will be emerging as very slender new feathers beneath the existing back feathers. Usually in monochrome birds, you will also see some sickle feathers beginning to emerge from the tail. Unlike the other tail feathers, these will be very curved.

The real give-away on young cockerels is the red comb and wattles, appearing around five to six weeks.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Overrun With Chickens

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    [​IMG] On the left is a picture of one of my rooster's saddle feathers. They are long and pointy. They are on the lower back of the chicken, go down to the tail, and drape down the sides. The picture above is of the saddle feathers on the side. The chicken whose feathers you circled is a cockerel.

6. MysteryChik

NONE of our game fowl have "wattles" and they are 11 weeks.. so that's why we are really confused... on the new ones that are four months.. its obvious we have a rooster and three hens, bc he does have a wattle and larger red comb

7. MysteryChik

I'll have to check on our game fowl like this. none have wattles though, which is confusing so im wondering if we have ten hens?

8. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    If they are 11 weeks the hackle, saddle and sickle feathers are starting to come in on any cockerels. It is possible you have all hens, but if you didn't know gender when you got them then it is extremely unlikely. Maybe they are just late bloomers. [​IMG]

9. MysteryChik

Once I can catch them, I plan on looking at where the saddles are. I went up and looked at the new ones (Plymouth barred) which we already knew were three hens and a rooster. But I could clearly see what the difference in saddle feathers between the hens and rooster. So now.. once the games go to roost in their favorite apple tree tonight,, it'll be easier to catch them . just a few min ago, me, my 11 year old daughter and her 11 year old friend, my six year old son, and my three year old daughter about DIED running around in 90 degree heat tryin' to catch them lol. I realized how fast they are, and how OLD I am hahaha.. tonight hopefully I will have more answers. thank you for your input! I really appreciate it.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Any time! Are you wanting girls or boys? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by