saddle guards - can't believe I'm now sewing for my girls!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by BlueMoon, Nov 25, 2007.

1. BlueMoon

BlueMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    A few of the hens are showing too much tread damage from the roosters. In Damerow's/Storey's guide to raising chickens, she shows a pattern for protecting their saddles until the the feathers grow back.

So, I'm sewing purple polar fleece onto a soft green chamois and will fit the five favorite hens tomorrow (roosters favorites, not necessarily mine). It looks snazzy.

Has anyone had any luck with these? Any thoughts on water proofing the chamois or what ointments I should put on the exposed skin until the feathers reappear?

2. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
  3. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Two are finished, so I may finished the rest later. These look like little full front aprons, with cross straps.

I'll try these out tomorrow and will try to add photos - I have yet to succeed!

4. HenHaven

HenHaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2007
    Coarsegold, CA
    I used saddles on my girls and they worked very well. It took them a few hours to get used to them, but after the initial shock, they wore them without a problem. I thought they looked very cute strutting around in their little camo covers!

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I have two of my roo's favorites in saddles right now; found a lady on the 'net that makes them. She did say she uses only denim, as any other fabric she's tried doesn't hold up. They're working great thus far!

6. cknmom

cknmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2007
    Dickson TN
    I have made two saddles out of heavy cammo I actually made them reversable to make them last longer. I needed them in the spring/summer but had no time to make them. So I have not used these as of yet, but they are here when I need them.

Monica

7. tarka

tarka New Egg

Nov 4, 2007
    I used a couple of saddles and they worked well , they can certainly give the hens back time to recover when they get scratched up [​IMG]

8. soccerguy17

soccerguy17 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2007
    washington
    what i love about the saddles is when you first put the saddles on the hens try to back out of them that is one of the funniest things ive ever seen [​IMG]

9. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    Two of the hens (Anna-Nicole and a Tammy) are in their saddles, which look rather like aprons. I put BagBalm on first. Their shoulder blades are still exposed, but there was no sign of the roosters even trying to mount these...more like chastity belts than saddle guards. I like the reversible idea - thanks. I have taken photos and will try to post them.

10. BlueMoon

Oct 3, 2007
    Scenic Verbank, NY
    And now I'm making teeny ones for the chilled Nankin Bantams...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That Tammy, our runway model.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by