saddleand hackles feathers

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tasha82, Jul 27, 2011.

1. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    can someone post pictures showing the difference in saddle feathers and hackle feathers in males and females. im newish and as u may have seen from some of my posts unsure of the sex of a couple of my chickens,just want to know what to look for,well maybe.it all goes over my head haha,xx

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    the brownish feathers on his neck and by his tail base
    [​IMG]

the white neck feathers and white with black in the middle feathers by base of tail
    [​IMG]

3 hens neck and base of tails
    [​IMG]

hens tend to be short and round on the end and males are long and pointy at end

3. tasha82

tasha82 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2011
    leeds
    thanks,the chicken im worrying about doesnt look like that the saddle and hackle feathers i mean,i think i see what people mean by the pointedness of the feathers from you r pics,do you know if dominiques are the same,as the one i have is fluffy,but people said male cos hes/shes light,shes getting alot darker now tho,xx

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    post a pic and i'll try to help, dont have that breed but i might could help or maybe someone else could. how old is the one in question?

5. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Saddle feathers are the ones in the rear, above the tail, (see the white fluff?) it spreads down from there (they are yellowish on my roo)
    Hackle feathers are the yellowish/white ones coming down the neck from the head and spreading out around the base of the neck
    when they "hackle" up, say facing off against another chicken you can really see them, or if the wind catches them from behind,
    these will puff out like a cone.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2011
  6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:What breed is the roo in the pic???? Is it OE blue gold duckwing or a mix of something else? Super cool looking!!!!

8. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    Quote:What breed is the roo in the pic???? Is it OE blue gold duckwing or a mix of something else? Super cool looking!!!!

Its actually an EE mix....mixed with what I have no idea! Thanks..he is my 2nd in command...

9. Pkeith1998

Pkeith1998 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2011
    Georgia
    So from these pics, would you say roos? They are 4.5 mos old RIR or PR.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. FuryanGoddess

FuryanGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    PA
    When do the hackle and saddle feathers come in?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by