saddleback pomeranian goose/muscovy duck cross hatched?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by nop169, Apr 14, 2011.

1. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Wondered if any of you have ever experienced your geese mating your muscovy ducks? The reason I ask is that last night I had a blue muscovy hatching in one of the horse stalls. The muscovies & my saddleback pomerainian geese both free range on our 24 acres. I went ahead and pulled 9 of the damp, hatched ducklings (for a friend to hand raise) and left the mother 5 & aound 5 still unhatched eggs. I brought the 9 to work with me for the friend to pick up and was shocked to see a small (smaller than normal) gosling.... As they were still not fluffy when I pulled them and they had been in a rubbermaid with light all night - this morning (running late as usual!) I simply packed box and all without really looking at the hatchlings. I AM NOT CRAZY - there are now 8 ducklings and 1 larger than normal "duckling" or small "gosling". Typical gosling build - just small. The duck had flown over a 4' gate to nest in the horse stall & I have checked her periodically - all of the eggs were muscovy eggs.... so the only possibly conclusion is that she crossed with one of the ganders..... but I would not have thought the mating would be viable. Granted as soon as I get off I am going to see if there are any more like this one. What do you all think?

2. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I don't know but I'd love to hear more. Maybe you can check the internet and see what you can come up with. Muscovy's are not your typical duck so you never no.

3. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    It's not possible they are 2 different species. Even though they are waterfowl.

4. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I think Muscovy mama wanna-bes will steal any egg they can get and I think this is what happened to you. I could be wrong but if it is a bet that is what I would bet. She stold the egg and hatched it.

5. nop169

nop169 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    I did search the internet but only found one reference to muscovies breeding with Canadian geese - but the photos looked like normal muscovies and the information was sketchy - made me think it was a hoax. The other reference I found was from the UK where there were two written (documented?) cases of muscovy crossing with geese from the early 1900s by a naturalist.
    Now as to my situation.... I am abashed to tell you all.... but it was a joke played on me by a family member! A gosling had hatched & was small & weak & left behind when the goose took her newlt hatched goslings off the nest - the family member found the cold, weak baby & knowing of the duck sitting in the barn that was also hatching - stuck the gosling under her. They did not tell me until late last night after I spent hours researching & I had sifted through all the eggshells to prove no goose egg was under her! Needless to say I am relieved but chargained!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by