1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sadie the Rat terrier needs a forever home.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Slightly Cracked, Dec 2, 2008.

1. Slightly Cracked

Slightly Cracked Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    N.E Oklahoma
    Ok heres the deal. I went to this lady who I do business with to pay a bill, and we got to talking about rat terriers. And I told her that I loved my rattie even though she could be very, very trying at times. She mentioned that she had rat terriers, so I ask to see them. I also want to look at other peoples ratties.
    She said "Ok, but there is a dead dog in the pen my husband hasn't picked it up yet. And she is a little thin the kids haven't been feeding her."
    So......we walk out to the pen and I was SHOCKED to see this poor dog. She was so "thin" that you could see EVERY spinal process, EVERY rib, BOTH hip bones, and her butt bones. When she let her out of the pen she ran over to me and so I ask if I could take her home with me. [​IMG]
    So........ I bring her home and now 2 weeks later she has filled out and is a very affectionate dog. Has done great around the chickens and loves my son, ok she loves anyone that will pay attention to her.
    I can NOT keep her!! We already have 4 and 1/2 dogs (one travels back and forth between here and my moms house) Mom has 3 and 1/2 dogs. Plus to many birds to count.,1 very pregnant goat, 7 cows due to start calving, and 3 horses I can't keep rode.
    So she needs a loving home where she will get the care and attention she deserves. [​IMG]
    please help this girl out. I would even be willing to meet someone part way if needed.

Thanks,
    SC

2. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

I am so glad that you rescued her. Some people just don't need animals. I have quite a few critters myself, but they live and eat better than I do. [​IMG]

I hope you find a great home for the poor girl. I just wanted to say bless you for taking her in. [​IMG]

3. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I hate hearing things like that. And to think that she would put the blame on kids and her husband.
    Bless your heart for taking her in. It sounds like the poor thing would have ended up like her penmate if you hadn't taken her in.
    Rat Terriers are excellent dogs. I have several and have had them for years.
    I'm way too far away to take her in. (Ohio) I hope she gets a good home. She certainly deserves one.

4. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Please tell me you reported that horrible case of abuse.

5. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    She said "Ok, but there is a dead dog in the pen my husband hasn't picked it up yet. And she is a little thin the kids haven't been feeding her."

What in the world did that mean? A living dead dog?

What kind of business does she do? Can you "do business" with someone with character, morals, and a sense of right?

OMG!

Good for you! Now report her!

If you have no takers, contact a breed rescue group. They can find "it" and a home that will value "it"!!!

Oh my goodness!​

6. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
  7. Slightly Cracked

Slightly Cracked Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    N.E Oklahoma
    What in the world did that mean? A living dead dog?

No she was in the pen with a dead do that had not be disposed of yet beacause she don't touch dead animals. [​IMG]

Can you "do business" with someone with character, morals, and a sense of right?

That is no longer an issue. I can not do business with someone that would do that to any kind of creature. [​IMG]

Please tell me you reported that horrible case of abuse.

I wish I could say that I did [​IMG] BUT here in the" good ol' boys" neck of the woods the abuse has to be pretty severe to get anything done. Like large number of livestock left to starve to death last winter.
    This dog did have water and icky dog food. The "basics". And she did have shelter. [​IMG]

The best thing is that she is out of that place and now she is working on being a fat and happy dog.

I will check out the rat terrier rescue, but I would still like her to go to a very special loving home. She deserves that. [​IMG]

8. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 3, 2008
  9. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    [​IMG] Thank You and Bless You for rescuing the poor doggy. Hope you find her a great forever home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by