Sadly, I found my Guinea hen's nest at midnight **Found her**

Rafter 7 Paint Horses

Songster
13 Years
Jan 13, 2007
East Texas
It's been hot here, & we got a cool front today. DH said that we better keep an eye on the animals, cause the predators will be looking for a meal with the weather change.

I was reading the new posts on here & I heard a Guinea start making a lot of noise. Then the dogs went off.
I told DH & he got the gun & went outside. He & one of the dogs found the nest, & a few feathers. There were 14 warm eggs in her nest. I'm sure Sophie already knew where the nest was, cause she took DH right to it.

The Guinea hen may have escaped, I won't know for sure until tomorrow.

We don't know what it was, but probably a coon.

We put the eggs under 2 Cochin bantams that are hatching eggs right now, until the incubator gets warmed up & holding steady.

The dogs couldn't get to where the Guinea had her nest. They were all locked up in different areas with other animals for the night.

Right before this, DH said since it has cooled off, we need to start on a new chicken coop. Now he says we ARE building a guinea coop & run!!!
I wish my Guinea hens would make their nests closer to the house, then they would be safe at night cause we put the sheep, goats and 2 dogs in the yard at night.

Jean

Last edited:
Jean, I hope that she is just hiding somewhere and turns up in the morning.
fl.gif

Chel

Well Jean this exact thing just happened to me and both my females are now gone. They made their nest in the woods and I could not have found them if I wanted to, most likely in the brambles and thickets somewhere. Both are gone due to whatever got them during the night. I have no luck, I know others whose females safely do a hatch in woods with no problems. I think I am all done after these Guineas, they are the way they are (wild!!) and unless I think they are in their own seperate pens the females will continue to lay in the woods. They were trained to go in everynight but once they laid their next that was the end of that. They would also be so miserable stuck in a pen 24/7. Good Luck with her eggs.

my gunea got attacked while on her nest by a coon or fox and somehow got loose and ran back to the house.
ep.gif

she waz just missing a lot of feathers . i hope ur's returns to. :aww

Found the Guinea hen...she's OK. And found another nest of about 20 eggs that another hen is setting on!!!!
yippiechickie.gif
wee.gif

I guess the dogs barking, even though they couldn't get to her, helped to save her life. Not to mention...she is a real spitfire when she is on a nest!

Jean

Back
Top Bottom