Sadness in Northern Michigan

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ChickenLady2014, Feb 4, 2014.

1. ChickenLady2014

ChickenLady2014 Feathered Frenzy

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Today I received my much awaited call from my local post office.It was time to pick up my babies ~yeah! Only to be told by the postal worker that all had perished, but I still needed to come get them. She was very sincere & apologetic about my loss, but it still didn't help with the frustration I was feeling. I had checked and rechecked the tracking info on them. They had made it to a city 5 1/2 hours away from us on Monday at 7:14 a.m. They didn't arrive at my post office until 12:00 this afternoon. Expedited shipping does not help when basic handling procedure on live cargo isn't handled correctly. It was very apparent that they froze to death [​IMG]

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    That's just awful! Sorry for your loss.

1 person likes this.
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

With night time lows at zero or below and postal trucks not being heated in their cargo bays, it is very difficult for the chicks to survive shipping in these temps, heat packs or not. Likewise, in the south, during the blazing heat of summer, it is very hard for chicks to survive.

The hatcheries normally replace the chicks with no problem, but it may be prudent to wait until the temperatures moderate? Even night time lows in upper 20's would likely be a huge improvement in the risk factors.

Sorry the little chicks didn't survive the ordeal.

1 person likes this.
  4. rancher hicks

rancher hicks Chicken Obsessed

Feb 28, 2009
    Syracuse, NY
    Having ordered chicks last year or the year before I can say that of three shipments all were late. One shipment yielded many doa's. Another resulted in a trip to the PO for pick up or wait another day.

Express/overnight mail while guaranteed is NOT a guarantee they will arrive over night. Be aware that the postage is refundable and the seller should refund the money to you the payer of said postage. Only one seller did this with me.

The postal service has made many changes and some hubs that may have been closer to the recipient are now closed. Rerouting shipments for a longer trip.

I worked for the PO and still get notices from the union of changes going on.

Fred is right wait for warmer night time lows. I live right near the airport that our mail comes into and in fact picked up chicks and other birds and bees on arrival there, when I worked at the PO. So if my chicks arrived doa it must be worse for those who do not live near the airport.

I intend to order hatching eggs but am waiting for warmer temps.

Sorry for your loss,

Rancher

1 person likes this.
  5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I am so sorry. [​IMG]I would wait until your over night temps are a bit warmer before ordering more babies. These things happen easily in the winter.

I hope your heart heals soon.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country

7. ChickenLady2014

Jan 7, 2014
    God's Country
    Thank for the kindness & advice everyone. This was my first ever shipment of chicks, so I was not familiar with how they are packaged for shipment. I just feel really bad for participating in the death of 29 babies. The hatchery I used was very understanding & credited my account for the birds & the shipping. I have placed another order, but it is scheduled for the end of April delivery to be on the safe side. I am so glad that the hatchery was short on 2 of the breeds I had ordered. Otherwise it would have been 39 chicks lost [​IMG]

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Don't feel badly. You didn't know. I personally think the hatchery should hold off on shipping chicks to any northern states until it gets warmer. Don't beat yourself up. These things happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by