Safe a life & remember to give blood!

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
DBF got a call yesterday to come give blood. The clinic didn't have my current contact info and while he was on the phone, I was in the background going, "can I go? I want to go!".

We are now 2 pints of blood lighter. We were told to take it easy, eat a good dinner, and drinks lots of fluids. Sounds like a perfect Christmas Eve, doesn't it? :lol

Good for you.

I haven't let them drain me in almost two years... (previously I'd give a pint every June and every December) The last few times I gave blood, I ended up getting sick after each time for about two months. Guess my body doesn't want to part with it.

It was my first time giving blood in probably 4-5 years. I lived in France during the mad cow scare of '95-'96, and had been told I couldn't donate any more. Turns out that was wrong.

It wasn't pleasant, that's for sure. I'm notoriously difficult to "stick", then I continued to bleed for another 10 mins after the drain was over. But if it makes the difference in someone's life, then my momentary discomfort is worthwhile.

Quote:
OH I wouldn't do it if they had difficulty finding the vein.
th.gif

I have a nice scar now that shows EXACLY where to put that needle - and it fills up that bag in no time flat.

I always get dizzy afterwards, for about 20 min or so, I do have to remain in a chair till that goes away or I look like a drunk.

Quote:
Same thing with me, only mine started after I had my oldest son.
hu.gif
I used to give about every 3 or 4 months. I have a bunch of nice scars.
smile.png
Sometimes people kina get freaked out by them.

I've been a donor since 1980, I look like a junky. My son gave his first donation 2 days after he turned 17, I'm so proud of him. Blood and organs are the most precious gift in the world, and the first one you can give while alive lol! I'm also a marrow donor, although I've only matched twice in 20 years.

You're a marrow donor?! That's so cool! i've always wanted to get on that match registry but never have. Have you donated marrow? How was it?

Quote:
I was in Germany during that period. For a time, we were turned away. The rules have been relaxed since then. Hopefully, that means they were over vigilant in the screen out process initially.

Back
Top Bottom