Safe and humane snake removal instruction

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by TanithT, Jul 30, 2010.

1. TanithT

TanithT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
  2. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    I nominate for sticky...

3. rrgrassi

rrgrassi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Royse City
    With the poisonous ones we have, occasional rattler, copperheads, cotton mouths, I tend to shoot first, ID later.

4. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:For some reason it is rare they come up to my house I have green and black snakes at the house and cane brakes and cottonmouths down by the water and in the right a ways. The poison ones I mostly just give them a wide berth and they leave me alone. Ours are almost out all year long it does not really get cold here once the bay gets warm we do not get winter until feb-march.

5. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    I second the sticky!

[​IMG]

6. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    This morning I got up early, made a quiche for breakfast and went outside to clean out 2 of my hen houses...hours later, I am feeling pretty good about my self and I start weeding my yard and I am about to take some grass to the alpacas and something rushes out of the grass..I see this out of the corner of my eye.....it is a copper head. Young one, about 14 inches....I jumped, ran to the house got my shotgun and got rid of him....now I am stressing out...what can I do to get them away from the house? is it true that there are probably more around?

7. treldib

treldib Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2010
    Southern California
    D'Angelo N Va. :

This morning I got up early, made a quiche for breakfast and went outside to clean out 2 of my hen houses...hours later, I am feeling pretty good about my self and I start weeding my yard and I am about to take some grass to the alpacas and something rushes out of the grass..I see this out of the corner of my eye.....it is a copper head. Young one, about 14 inches....I jumped, ran to the house got my shotgun and got rid of him....now I am stressing out...what can I do to get them away from the house? is it true that there are probably more around?

Read the original post of this thread...​

8. LizGled628

LizGled628 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Rhode Island
    My cat was running around the yard with a live yellow snake in her mouth [​IMG]

We are lucky enough to have few, if any, poisonous snakes around here. The one she had was just a little garden snake, and it sure was fun to watch her.

9. TanithT

TanithT Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2010
    Raleigh, NC
    D'Angelo N Va. :

A 14 inch copperhead is a well grown young adult (1 to 2 years old), but honestly it's quite likely you killed a harmless snake. Most people do, misidentifying quite a plethora of snakes as "copperheads" or "cottonmouths". Can't even begin to tell you how many times I've run into this scenario, and positively identified the snake as harmless that everyone at the scene was convinced was venomous. They're rarer than you think.

If you are willing to promise to consider solutions other than shotguns next time, and take the time to learn for sure which native snakes are harmless, I'll take the time to answer your other questions in detail. I'll need detailed photos or preferably video of the exterior of your house and surrounding property to do a thorough assessment however.​

10. mchl

mchl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    best snake dead snake

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by