Safe bedding

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stormlily, Dec 1, 2010.

1. stormlily

stormlily Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Paraiso Costa Rica
    I have an opportunity to get some free wood shavings and would like to know if any woods are dangerous to use. It is a combination of Costa Rican cedar and mahogany and is not dusty. I know pine is preferred but the only kind I can get here in Costa Rica is really dusty.

Thanks Luisa

2. Paco

Paco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2010
    Enid,Ok
    What is this bedding for like chicks or adults? And cedar has a very strong aroma that can hurt the chickens lungs.

3. stormlily

stormlily Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Paraiso Costa Rica
    It is a different kind of cedar and has no aroma.
    they are about 10 weeks old
    thanks for replying
    Luisa

4. RIBill

RIBill Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    I would be happy to have to use that. One issue may be humidity. This may be a moot point since you're in CR, but spanish cedar has a neat property where it will maintain 70% humidity. When it's dry, it will be 70%. When it's humid, it will be humid. You may have issues with mold on walls, floors, etc. The only reason I bring this up is because I would expect cedar and mahogany will last a long time. You may have to scoop it all out, wipe the floor with bleach water, let it dry and reinstall. Of course, that wouldn't be an issue if you has a dirt floor.

BTW, as we in the North head into winter, I wish my biggest concern was the safety of cedar and mahogany bedding. I'm quite envious. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by