Safe Chicken Run

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by btny9, Mar 7, 2013.

1. btny9

btny9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Mississippi
    What materials are good to use to build a safe chicken run? And if anyone has anytips on how to build a safe chicken run please share. I want to keep my babies safe. [​IMG]

2. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    wooden posts buried in the ground, concreted for added stability if you wish, 6ft welded wire mesh fencing, bottom 2 or 3ft lined with 1/4 or 1/2" hardware cloth partially burried to guard against diggers, some sort of cover to guard against raptors. Or for a more portable unit one could use dog kennel sections or a hoop house type unit with hardware cloth around the bottom and again a top on the kennel. Some also add a couple strands of electric fence around the outside. There are plenty of ideas on here and many different styles of coops and runs.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  3. JanetS

JanetS Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2012
    [​IMG]This is our run. 1/2" hardware cloth on the sides and top. 4x4s cemented in the ground.
    [​IMG]Buried patio stones sideways in the ground to keep out digging predators.

4. btny9

btny9 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    Mississippi
    Thank You that is a very good idea.

5. horselover4103

horselover4103 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    [​IMG]

I am planning on doing something like this. It isn't as cost efficient as other things but I think it looks cleaner plus nothing isnt permanent like pouring concrete. We did something like this for our dogs and it has kept them from trying to dig out. Should keep predators from digging in. Any thoughts?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  6. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    Dog kennels will work fine buy you will need to address the tops to keep out hawks and owls or climbing animals like coon and you need to cover the bottoms to prevent small weasels from getting through and coon from reaching through and pulling the birds out through the kennel

7. horselover4103

horselover4103 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2013
    I am building them out of 2x4 4x4s hog panels and 1/2 inch hardware cloth. I was referring to the paving stones. I love the idea that if we move we can take it with us. We did something Similar to this with our dogs to keep them from digging out. Should be pests from digging in too

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by