1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe cleansers for coop, dishes, etc.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chicknhawaii, May 21, 2008.

1. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I was wondering what everyone uses to wash the dishes and whatever other washable chicken items there are.

I bathe Chick-Chick in a water/dish soap mix but don't want to assume that's what's best for cleaning items. With 2 more coming later this week, I need to know even more. [​IMG]

2. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I use a little bleach or vinegar, both seem to work well, just make sure you rinse well.

3. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Bleach Water, its inexpensive and does the job!

4. TundraChick

TundraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I use hot soapy water.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hot water, a bit of soap or detergent, and some elbow grease [​IMG]

If I think an item needs a little bit more, I will use a little bleach, or scrub with salt, or even just set it out in direct sunlight for a day (sunlight kills a surprising amount of things).

JMO,

Pat

6. My Little Sister's Farm

My Little Sister's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Forest Grove, Oregon
    I use dish soap when I take them into the house. But we have an iodine scrub I wanted to use up that I used for almost a year in the barn.

Do you guys use bleach and dump it outside? I'd be afraid to pour out bleach water, even in small amounts onto the soil every week or so, that doesn't seem safe and responsible over the long term.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  7. Bi0sC0mp

Bi0sC0mp Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Raiford,FLA
    i use water is only change mine every 2 days so

8. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    My Little Sister's Farm :

I use dish soap when I take them into the house. But we have an iodine scrub I wanted to use up that I used for almost a year in the barn.

Do you guys use bleach and dump it outside? I'd be afraid to pour out bleach water, even in small amounts onto the soil every week or so, that doesn't seem safe and responsible over the long term.

Bleach breaks down in air, rendering it harmless. In fact, if I remember my chemistry class correctly, if you mix bleach with hydrogen peroxide, the double replacement result is oxygen and water....or was that HCL with H202? Don't try this at home, folks! [​IMG]

9. chicknhawaii

chicknhawaii Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Honolulu, HI
    I think it's hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) that you add H2O to to get...ah heck...for a sec I thought I knew what I was saying but now I'm not sure...

Bleach is NaOCl I think... >_< ...and eventually breaks down.

Last edited: May 21, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by