safe day time temps for chicks?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by showbarnmom, Jan 1, 2013.

1. showbarnmom

showbarnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    3 week old mix breeds have outgrown their indoor box. Transitioned them outdoors today to their coop that is heated. Its reading ~75 in the coop. Its about 40 outside at the moment, but all the chicks were cuddled up and quiet.

Anywho....I want to turn them out for a bit tomorrow, high is suppose to be about 55. Is that safe? And for how long? Or should I just leave them in their coop for another week before they are allowed out?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I would leave them in the coop until they know that it is home(4-7 days usually). And I would make it so they can easily get back inside to the heat since they wont be feathered out yet.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If those chicks had been raised by a momma hen they'd be spending hours at a time out from under her at whatever the outside temp is. Maybe pop back under her for a warm up 2-3 times a day, other than that they're out running around doing their thing! So, those babies will be fine to spend hours outside.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    The OP said their indoor box is too small(assuming they are brooder box raised and not with a broody hen).

But I agree, if they are with a broody hen they will be fine with her. Mine were until a hawk took her, so the orphan is in with my wife's Silkie chicks.

5. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Yes brood box, sorry, brain fart lol. I assumed they would be OK if they had a hen. And being 3 weeks means feathers. Thanks :) I will let them start exploring in short batches tomorrow and put them up to warm up as if it where under a hen.

6. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    Woops missed this one!! Are they OK to come out just for a bit while I am out to put them back up? Will they still learn home that way?

7. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I know, I was pointing out IF they had been hen-raised they'd be outside in whatever temp it is, and not spending very much time at all under momma during the day. Saying that three week old chicks can easily handle 40-50 degree temps for several hours.

8. showbarnmom

Dec 16, 2012
    south central Texas
    I get it now! Lol! Well they made it through the night. So going to let them out around lunch time when its the warmest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by