Safe Egg Handling...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlelizajane, Sep 2, 2014.

1. littlelizajane

littlelizajane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    Ok.. so we got our first egg.... and we have no idea about anything.. LOL.... we were away for the weekend so we have no idea how long it sat outside in the Las Vegas heat.. so we took pictures of it.... got all excited about it... cracked it to see if it looked normal inside and then threw it out.

How do you insure an egg is safe to eat?

How long can it be outside - unrefrigerated (Note we live in Las Vegas temps can be over 110 degrees)?

How do you organize your eggs so you know when they "expire"?

Do you need to wash the egg?

It was pretty... and white.. and looked normal inside.... was a little smaller than I expected... It was white shell so we think it was from one of the Leghorns. Hubby says he read that the color of the chicken determines the color of the eggshell and they are our only white chickens.

Any advice welcome...

2. ShockValue

ShockValue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2010
    West Sound, Washington
    Leghorns do lay white eggs, but the color of the chickens really has nothing to do with it. There is some correlation between "earlobe color" and egg color, but it's not foolproof. Best is to just know your breeds and research what colors they lay.

Not sure how long an egg @110 will last. I bet for a couple days it would be just fine.

3. littlelizajane

littlelizajane Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by